Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
westernCOboater
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do Coleman 1 lb gas canisters last campers? Canister per day or two days with 8 people? Using a Camp Chef Everest 2 stove and cooking breakfast and lunch for 8 plus heating up a little wash up water.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
1lbers have about 21K of BTUs in them so your napkin math above is close. The advice on an 11lb or even 5lb tank is the way to go. They're refillable, give you a buffer and aren't that big to store. Plus you can run a blaster or larger device on those unlike the 1lber. 1 gallon of PROPANE is roughly 91k BTUs. Convert tank size to gallons of fuel and go from there. Other factors like air temp and vaporization rate can matter but the larger the tank the less it matters in small appliances like stoves.

·
westernCOboater
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1lbers have about 21K of BTUs in them so you're napkin math above is close. The advice on an 11lb or even 5lb tank is the way to go. They're refillable, give you a buffer and aren't that big to store. Plus you can run a blaster or larger device on those unlike the 1lber. 1 gallon of PROPANE is roughly 91k BTUs. Convert tank size to gallons of fuel and go from there. Other factors like air temp and vaporization rate can matter but the larger the tank the less it matters in small appliances like stoves.
We are pretty stuffed into canoes so space is tight. We’ve got 6 full days on the water. It’s to carry the big containers. 2x1lbr’s/day sounds high. My stove is VERY efficient and highly controllable compared to my old Coleman. Plus we can use fire pan grill for some meal cooking like on steak night.

·
My name isn't Will
571 Posts
Five people and four days plus Day Zero before launch for coffee. Two one-gallon bottles to fuel a two burner Coleman stove and Woodland Power Stove. At the end of the trip, one bottle was empty. The other was not. We drank a lot of coffee.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Given the output of the Everest and the size of your group one bomb per day doesn't sound excessive. My guess is you won't use them all, but I'd rather have a little left over than run out on day six because someone left a burner on. I know you don't have room for an eleven pound tank, but what about a five pounder? Would easily tuck into a bow or stern, and filling it costs about the same as ONE green bomb. I use one with my Everest and it's the cats.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Western, you are the only one who knows what you cook and how you cook it and how you manage cleanup for dishes. The usual suspect has the right approach on this. The Everest has two 20,000 btu burners. If both are on full blast it will only run for 1/2 hour on one cylinder. If you dial it down you might get 2 or more hours. Despite the marketing hype, it wasn't really designed to run on a green cylinder. I own one and have run it for 30 plus days a year for the past 6-7 years. In that time I have had two regulators crap out. Always bring a spare regulator. I always run mine on larger tanks. For about 4 years I tracked fuel usage. It ranged from .16 lbs per person per day to .27 (winter trip). Average was a little over .2/person/day. I like the stove a lot. It has enough power that you can get away without a blaster. It simmers fine and cooks everything that I want to cook.

I have been doing a lot of canoeing the past few years and I find the Everest is just too bulky. I switched to a Kovea slim twin. It has two 10500 btu burners. It is sized perfectly for groups of up to 6 or 8. It is only 1 3/4 in thick and fits great in a small dry box that I put in my canoe. We never cook breakfast. We only heat up a pot of water for coffee and instant oatmeal if people want it. We also never cook lunch, and we do fairly simple dinners. In addition we usually grill on our fire pan (the fancy light one with the mesh bottom. I love that thing.) one or two nights. We also do our dishes as efficiently as possible. We often use filtered drinking water so we don't have to fully boil it, and if we do a seal a meal, we use that hot water for dishes.

I have done two 6 day trips this past year with 6 people and only used 2 green cylinders for the whole trip. Still had some left in the second cylinder. On a canoe trip I like the green cylinders because they weigh one pound empty and 2 pounds full. A five pound tank weighs almost 10 pounds empty and 15 pounds full. I can haul the fuel I need for less weight with the green cylinders. You can also spread them around and fit them in anywhere as needed.

I recommend you cook some practice meals in your backyard and see what your actual fuel usage is including cleanup. Then you will have a better idea of what you need to bring.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I use green bombs for overnights and car camping. Usually burn through a bit less than 1/day for coffee, breakfast, dinner, and minimal dishes.

On a big group trip with a full dish line heated on a blaster, it's more like 3-4#/day heating 2 chickies twice a day (plus the 1#/day for breakfast/dinner).

IMHO chickie/dish line use makes a vast difference in propane usage.

·
Registered
295 Posts
As a family of 7, i think we can generally do a 3 day weekend on 1lb, with our partner stove. We cook breakfast, dinner, dishwater and occasionally lunch. We don't do coffee or hot cocoa, and those may be more fuel consumers. We tend to be on the light side with fuel consumption. It's been a few years since we've done that though. After getting tired of burning through bottles, I started refilling them and then I'd take a couple bottles since they weren't as full, but more recently, we got an 11# tank, and haven't looked back. It's still small, light, and holds a year's (30 nights) worth, so it works great for us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts