Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just looking at the pics of the boat in question, it seems v unlikely that any holes you made would drain as the dropstitch floor goes all the way out to the side tubes with no space in between for water to drain; similar to the comments that were posted when the NRS outlaw first came out . The thwart seat in the 126 is really comfy and with thigh straps you will feel really well locked in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Took the new boat on the river today. Lots of fun. Way more stable than the other boat. Self bailing woot!

The thwart seat was making my back a little sore after an hour or two. Thinking about trying my Skwoosh high back seat instead. Or maybe the Skwoosh and the thwart together.
Plant Ecoregion Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Sky

·
Registered
31 Posts
Took the new boat on the river today. Lots of fun. Way more stable than the other boat. Self bailing woot!

The thwart seat was making my back a little sore after an hour or two. Thinking about trying my Skwoosh high back seat instead. Or maybe the Skwoosh and the thwart together.
View attachment 80382
Try letting some air out of the seat back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We use Aire tandem duckies. Take 4 day, 3 night trips. Upper C, Ruby Horsethief, Castle Valley. Self bailing, can pack them and are self bailing. We had a 16' NRS River Cat. Sold it due to lower flows everywhere. $800.00 duckies are great. Just saying.
Can’t agree more ! Aire tandems are awesome. All i have been paddling. Had my buddies buy them to
Water Boat Water resources Sky Cloud

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
We use Aire tandem duckies. Take 4 day, 3 night trips. Upper C, Ruby Horsethief, Castle Valley. Self bailing, can pack them and are self bailing. We had a 16' NRS River Cat. Sold it due to lower flows everywhere. $800.00 duckies are great. Just saying.
Do you solo the tandem? Been thinking about picking one or two up to use and hold more gear, but been indecisive due to size and handling.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you solo the tandem? Been thinking about picking one or two up to use and hold more gear, but been indecisive due to size and handling.
Yes, both my wife and I use them for day runs and 3-4 day trips. We bought Orca 35 qt coolers that fit well and we each carry one. An RTC 30 can soft
side and a drag bag. We carry tent, roll cots, Paco pads and light sleeping bags. We also carry a small propane fire pit and 10# tank. Jetboil 2 burner stove with the Luna side burner for a total of 3 burners.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Going the other way. I had a Tomcat solo, but rarely used it and sold it. When I was solo, I wanted to be in my mini dory or in a hardshell kayak...and when not in use, they take up a lot of room.
I'm looking to add a packraft that's easy to store in a dory or raft when not in use...and easier to hike/pack to more remote streams that I wouldn't even want to pack a hardshell into.

·
Registered
600 Posts
they are game changers in my book. I picked up a couple Aire Lynx II’s (one for me and one as a loaner) and they opened up a whole new range of rivers. Luxury backpack style and they’ll support you for a week plus, no problem. As long as you stay away from sluggish hyside Ik’s (previous owner,sold it for a Lynx) and look at tomcats or Lynx’s then they handle great under load. A friend has a tandem tomcat and it’s an amazing value for the $$, as well. Paddling his for 5 minutes switched me instantly from Hyside IK to getting the Lynx’s.

Water Boat Water resources Plant community Watercraft

Water Water resources Mountain Sky Light

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Did another 3-4 hour paddle on Saturday. Definitely liking the RMR Taylor. My son was using the old Scadden and had to dump it a few times. I did notice the seat gets a little wet in the RMR with SB, but it was refreshing and I wasn't wearing a Depends.
Water Boat Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Mountain

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have heard that about the RMR. Notably an unnamed shop on the western slope said that is the biggest piece of feedback they receive. Offer still stands to make your old kayak self bailing if you’re ever on the front range. Then you can compare.

·
Registered
355 Posts
In class 2-3 no worries about the drop-stitch extending all the way to the insides of the tubes.
On class 3, our NRS outlaw (1st gen) will completely fill with water when punching holes or hitting bigger waves. The newer versions, now under the NRS Star name, have the scalloped cutouts on the drop stitch floor to aid in water draining (same on my Star seminole). The full width drop stitch floor is an issue. You can mimic the new floor shape on the old floors by running 4 ft river straps around the drop stitch floor to hold the side in in a few key spots allowing water to exit the self bailing floor. Still pretty slow draining.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts