Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm venturing into the area of River Kayaking out in Colorado (Class 2/3). Me 5'8", bigger guy 230 lbs. I didn't want to spend a lot of money at first. I was looking at a Sea Eagle 300x or 380x. I ended up finding someone locally who was selling a Dave Scadden Stingray (250? Single Person) cheap $300. Worked great on a lake.

Tried it on a few river floats with friends and found a few things:
  • Built-in D-Ring Seat position is too far back. I used the boat backwards last time, so I could position the seat more centered. I may put on new D-Ring Patches so I can center the seat and run it forwards.
  • The black covers over the front and back, make it hard for me to get my legs in/out. I have some nerve damage in one leg and am a little weak. Wondering if I can cut the black vinyl to make it shorter?
  • Non-self bailing can be a bummer. My friends all have SB. I ended up having to stop after most rapids and turn the boat over? Can I make this boat self-bailing by cutting some holes in the bow/stern and/or sides? It has a drop-stitch floor?
The main question I have is about self-bailing. I saw on these boards that some people have attempted converting a boat, and it hasn't really been worth it. I guess what about a boat that already has a drop stitch floor and isn't worth that much? Not much to lose.

Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft Canoe Grass
Aviation Propeller Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Aircraft Vehicle

Maybe I should just get rid of it next season and get something different? Maybe something a little bigger also? and sell this one or give it to my son.

Get an Attwood Waterbuster?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave scadden and his boats suck ass….move on to greener pastures.
I'm not Dave Scadden though. Don't come down on me :) This is my first boat, just trying to see if I like the sport.

I guess I'll live with it for a bit longer as-is, and then see if I can afford something better if I decide to keep going. Just trying to see if there is anything I can do in the meantime. I don't really care if I wreck it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RMR makes a nice inexpensive ducky. I personally bought an Aire Tomcat and love it.
I'll check that out. I think there is a dealer in Glenwood Springs, CO, near where I live.

I found a guy selling a new unused Aire Outfitter normally $1899 for $1450. Seems pricey but maybe it's worth it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. I went to the store near me that had the rmr kayaks. They were 10% off and 10% off accessories. So I bought the Taylor. Pretty excited about trying it.

I was assuming the Thwart seat wouldn't give me as much back support as my Skwoosh high back seat, but the Thwart seems to be pretty solid. Seems like the Thwart may add some stability to the boat. Should I try the thwart or maybe I'm just kidding myself on dry land?

Assuming this boat is better, letting friends and kids use the Scadden.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Took the new boat on the river today. Lots of fun. Way more stable than the other boat. Self bailing woot!

The thwart seat was making my back a little sore after an hour or two. Thinking about trying my Skwoosh high back seat instead. Or maybe the Skwoosh and the thwart together.
Plant Ecoregion Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Sky

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I tried that but then it didn't support my back enough. So I put more air in. I think I just need it to be higher. I have lower back issues, metal Rods etc. So not normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Did another 3-4 hour paddle on Saturday. Definitely liking the RMR Taylor. My son was using the old Scadden and had to dump it a few times. I did notice the seat gets a little wet in the RMR with SB, but it was refreshing and I wasn't wearing a Depends.
Water Boat Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Mountain

1 - 9 of 9 Posts