Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is an awesome ride but I would have to agree with dirt. The wave is not at pro quality and Dane left a couple ticks out of the mix that he usually throws in. He almost feel off the wave twice. I've seen him go bigger! Seems like the judges were scoring a bit high. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The pros show up and paddle on what's available. This year, at these levels, this was the best feature in the park available for the comp. Lodo was bigger and would have given up bigger tricks but was flushy and half of the ride would have been spent paddling back up to the wave. What a feature like this does show off is a great paddler's ability to link tricks. And that is what Dane did and why he scored so high. The scoring was accurate. The ride was awesome.

No, they weren't the biggest tricks ever but actually Dane pretty much owns them too.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Impressive ride, he was getting close to the back loop McNasty combo on Sunday.

Too bad the comp couldn't be in the original hole above the bridge, it was the best feature in the park and there would have been plenty of amplitude.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lodo was bigger and would have given up bigger tricks but was flushy and half of the ride would have been spent paddling back up to the wave.

What a feature like this does show off is a great paddler's ability to link tricks.
I 100% disagree. It takes more skill to link moves on a flushy wave. Anyone can link up moves in a tiny sticky hole. Its just that the pros do it even better! Linking moves on a flushy wave would showcase real skills!

Even though the scoring may be technically accurate, it does not reflect the over all ride. Which in this case was low amplitude. There should be a deduction for small waves. I've seen Dane pull off better rides and I fear what he'll be sticking next month.

I'd give him the best freestyler on the planet award but not biased on that ride.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
It was a super impressive technical ride... that's what produces the biggest points in freestyle kayaking.

While many may find the freestyle point/competition system broken, the point is WITHIN that system Dane just set the record.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Best kayaker in the world right there..

Some are now saying the best kayaker in the history of the world.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I watched this ride after EJ and Nick Troutman. I know absolutely nothing about freestyle points systems and am not really a fan of hole playboating, but he was obviously better than everyone else competing. It was extremely impressive to watch when comparing to the rest of the field.

once they start giving points for window shades to carp rolls combos, this kid better watch out. I am going to own the podium.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Haters will be haters.. The WWGP was created to address many of the concerns voiced here.. Dane just won that twice.

The kid deserves credit- the best in the biz were in the eddy trying to throw that ride, on this feature and they didn't.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
How is surfing judged? A lot of surf competitions I see are held on waves that normally no one would even bother riding except beginners. When surf competitions are held on really small waves, do they weight the scores lower? Or do they base it on what is possible given the wave size (i.e. a perfect score is achievable even on a pathetic wave)? I would think that the judging should be based on what is possible given the size of the wave. If someone is killing it on a small wave, even though they could be throwing bigger if the wave was bigger, a perfect score should still be achievable.

Looks like Dane is riding a bar of soap.

·
Registered
288 Posts
WWGP says it all... Now if he just weren't so socially awkward most of us would like him more.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Others probably have a better concept of the exact scoring rules but it's something like this. Each possible trick has an assigned point value. The best execution of a particular trick gets the points, and you can get bonuses for linking tricks and for amplitude. So for instance a loop and a big loop into cartwheels in the same ride will only count as the big loop into cartwheels. There is a theoretical maximum number of points based on the total number of tricks that have an assigned point value, but total ride time and paddler execution are bigger limiting factors than total possible score.

To get a big score you need to do a lot of different difficult tricks big, and combo them. What counts for big might change based on the feature. Dane threw a ton of hard tricks in both directions (count as different tricks) and nearly everything was part of a combo. He didn't flush (eats up time) and there wasn't really much in the way of setups.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
This reminds me of something I read Scott Lindgren talking about that I totally agree with and this seems to emphasize. He said there was a junction where mainstream kayaking competitions could have been taken towards playboating tricks on large wave features and creekboating competitions and accomplishments, but instead focused most of its attention on technical tricks in small holes. You could argue that some of that emphasis has changed in recent years (I think it has), but regardless, his point was that it's the former types of events that really showcase what's exciting about kayaking and will get outsiders and even other kayakers interested in it.

This video is case in point. There's no doubt that the skills involved require a lifetime of practice and unique talent, yet the casual onlooker, watching a recording breaking ride, would likely just pause for a few moments and then continue on their way. Even passionate boaters who aren't into dialing in technical hole tricks will find it hard to get very excited about watching this. Photos of Dane getting like 15+ feet of air off a monster wave in Canada however, is a hell of a thing to watch. This sounds like a cool accomplishment, I find it amazing what Dane's accomplishing as a paddler, but if someone hadn't told me, I wouldn't have been able to tell you that there's something particularly amazing about this ride in comparison to others on the pro boating circuit.

Lastly, I feel like someone should point out that people who like to publicly ridicule Dane because they think he talks funny or seems socially awkward are acting like total pricks. At least pretend you've matured since junior high.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts