Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, planning on doing the BV Town Run tomorrow (Saturday) in the morning while waiting to see if my old Pyrahna S:8 sells at the CKS gear swap. Anyone interested in it?

Haven't run it before, goin with a couple others that have not run it,

Just wondering about the Dam. Eddy Flower says it's runnable, but what is the Drop like? Anything to look out for? If we want to portage it, what are we looking for to let us know that it's comming up? Portage on River Left, or River Right? Is it pretty mellow before getting to it?

Any advice/tips would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
SO, planning on doing the BV Town Run tomorrow (Saturday) in the morning while waiting to see if my old Pyrahna S:8 sells at the CKS gear swap. Anyone interested in it?

Haven't run it before, goin with a couple others that have not run it,

Just wondering about the Dam. Eddy Flower says it's runnable, but what is the Drop like? Anything to look out for? If we want to portage it, what are we looking for to let us know that it's comming up? Portage on River Left, or River Right? Is it pretty mellow before getting to it?

Any advice/tips would be great.

Thanks!
I haven't been down it myself, but understand that landowners are not portage/scout friendly. I think there's a boat chute, but that at high water the chute is "spooky", not like that helps matters now. Anyway, just ask at CKS, I'm sure they'll know. FYI, water's pretty low up there right now...might want to think about something more channelized (RG, #, Browns?) Might also just go fishin'

·
Registered
807 Posts
we are working with the landowners on a portage trail that will hopefully be online next summer. We are also working with AHRA on a long term solution that we will have a design for this winter sometime.

None of that helps you for this weekend....run it right. It is shallow and basically manky but the right side is less so than the left. You can paddle almost up to the crest at this level and kind of boat scout it. It is just a straight shot down the right on a shallow ramp. No hole to speak of at this level.

The new landowners are a lot better than the old landwoners but they are not into people being all over their land until we get this trail easement workedout. Boat scout. Have fun. The rest of the run is fun.

·
suigeneris
337 Posts
Holerider is correct, you can boat scout or just run it right side down mellow boat shoot. It is nothing to worry about at this level. Have fun...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ran it a month ago. A raft guide in Buena Vista advised us to run it on the left, which we did. It was pretty gnarly on the left side and I would not take that line if given the option again...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Spotting it is not going to be a problem. You will see the horizon line from a ways back. I ran early in the year without any prior knowledge of what we were getting into, so when I saw that horizon line it was quite the surprise.

As the previous posts have said, the right is the way to go. We actually ran this at much higher flows, but were still able to pull up to scout until we were almost on the drop.

Have fun and be safe. Any luck with your paddle?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Its pretty simple and fun. Just go right. A couple friends and myself were floating thru there(when we were just starting out kayaking) and we all ran it left,like idiots. I was the only one that swam,luckily i din't get any rebar in the eye or anything. Stay away from the left,its not pretty.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think this drop changes a lot with the water level. At very high water, I think a big hole forms below the chute so people say to run left to avoid the chute. I've heard that advice too. It sucks when people don't take into account water level. With the low water level, things are different and the advice above makes good sense.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hope you guys can get something worked out there to get a trail, don't know how that's going to go though putting a trail in may negatively affect the land owners case on their contaminated well from the old sewer ponds...that they wont let water quality tests be done on. My understanding is the only reason the same land owner has that land is they think they are going to make a ton of money of their contaminated well.

As for the boat chute like everyone else said run it right, it's starting to get pretty low though, ask CKS when you drop your boat off for the swap.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just ran the dam for the first time with low water. Wow that is nasty. Nice section of the Ark but the dam ruins it.

The boat chute had very little water in it at the current level of 500 cfs. My kayak scraped, which was OK, but the first ducky got hung up on big rocks at the bottom of the chute and then the second ducky came down. If the second ducky had flipped when it hit the first and put the rider under the duckies, it would have been ugly with injury or worse.

A class II kayaker would also have had problems scraping down the chute.

The flow was 500 cfs. With 700 cfs, there probably would have been twice as much water in the chute which would have made a bid difference.

The left side looks like a fun class V- rapid if it had more water.

I'm thrilled to hear Harvey is planning on redoing the boat chute and provide a portage path. That would be a great stretch if the chute is fixed.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
As others have said, levels change everything. I ran it only once, at peak this year. The line was left, with a big hit at the end of the ramp.

It is a big horizon line that can be spotted from a long way above it.

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
We ran it Saturday and the rock at the bottom center was throwing a nice rooster tail. Pretty thin and I'd sure hate to run a duckie over it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hope you guys can get something worked out there to get a trail, don't know how that's going to go though putting a trail in may negatively affect the land owners case on their contaminated well from the old sewer ponds...that they wont let water quality tests be done on. My understanding is the only reason the same land owner has that land is they think they are going to make a ton of money of their contaminated well.
I don't know anything about that. The new owners are a nice couple from the Springs who wanted to retire to BV. They have been very receptive to the concept of a portage trail that will be used until we are able to fix the problem long term; which means a complete rework of the channel at this active diversion ditch. In fact we are meeting with them this week to try and work out the details.

In the meantime the best thing all of us can do is stay off their property. If you don't feel comfortable running the dam or taking someone down to it....don't run that section for now.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I didn't know there were new land owners, it was the old one that thought she was going to make money off the well. There is no contamination she just thought there was.

Great news that the new land owners are open to a portage trail!

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
Hey Mike,

I mentioned upthread that I went through the chute Saturday and that was the first time I'd run that section. It was enjoyable.

Just for my own edification do you know what are the implications of a person portaging river left are?

I didn't pay it much attention to river left except to look at the consequences of running the drop.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey Mike,

I mentioned upthread that I went through the chute Saturday and that was the first time I'd run that section. It was enjoyable.

Just for my own edification do you know what are the implications of a person portaging river left are?

I didn't pay it much attention to river left except to look at the consequences of running the drop.
It is private on both sides. The river left side is the Helena Ditch. Irrigation ditch owned by a rancher and Co Dpt. of Corrections.

Can't portage right now legally. Hopefully we will have that all worked out by next summer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
anybody run the boat chute hole at high water? that hole looked NASTY!! how does it go, and is the hole a keeper?

I was thinking to run the chute and sneak to the left of the hole, but it just looked really sketchy, and my buddy convinced me to run the dam left-center, in the horseshoe shaped drop--meant to go right to left, but actually went more left to right and flipped, then rolled up and continued--wow, what a hoot that was!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Below is a picture of the dam:
500 cfs. Chute on river right is shallow with big boulders on the bottom that pin a ducky or raft at low water or create a hole at high water. River left is manky with boulders on the right side and a diagonal drop on the left side.

Both drops look worse in real life than they do in this picture. Strange how that works.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts