Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't have my last drysuit very long, but when I tried it on I noticed that the neck gasket kept rolling down my neck creating a ring that was much too tight. I read about cutting it but that really worries me. I also saw how to stretch it out but I never did do that. So I'm wondering how did you try/stretch out your gasket before deciding to cut a ring or two out of it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do NOT cut!

Got some rational? I've never had a problem. New gasket, I cut a little, stretch a little, then it's comfortable and water tight for the life of the gasket. I have a fairly thick neck, and uncut, a new kokotat large neck is unwearable, and I tried stretching one once to get the same fit, and it was the shortest lived gasket I've experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
538 Posts
I stretch mine around a 1 gallon bucket which original had dry wall putty. I think I forgot about it and took it off week later. Still was tight but after a few uses never bothered me. Also had issue with the roll over and would just mess with it till i found the sweet spot.

I always notice that choking feeling when putting it on but 5 mins on the water and I totally forget about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've replaced many a drysuit gasket, and have had to trim several. If you are going to trim a gasket, I'd do it a little at a time because it makes a big difference on how tight it is just trimming a small portion. If you trim it to where is totally comfortable, in time it will stretch out and be too loose. Also you need to make a clean cut without any nicks or those nicks will make the gasket tear easily at that spot. It's best too first try to stretch it out on a jar or the likes that is wider than your neck. It doesn't take much trimming to get to that " oh crap stage, I trimmed too much."/

·
Registered
121 Posts
My nrs extreme was unwearable. I am a fat necked bastard though. Stretched it, then cut 2 rings out and it is still tight but seals well and is wearable. Only cut a little and try it, 2 rings is probably less than 3/8" and made a big difference.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Find something the same size as your neck or slightly larger, kitchen pot or jug stretch it over that for a couple days. If you want to cut it, it is easy to do while it is stretched over something. I use a razor blade and follow the rings. That makes a nice cut that will not tear

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I get another suit, I've decided I'll try to stretch it first and wear it for a few trips. Then if needed I'll cut a ring out of it and start the process over again until it's wearable. Thanks everyone.

On a different note, how often do you wax your zipper? Do you wax the whole zipper or just the starting portion that goes into the car/box? Thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
When I get another suit, I've decided I'll try to stretch it first and wear it for a few trips. Then if needed I'll cut a ring out of it and start the process over again until it's wearable. Thanks everyone.

On a different note, how often do you wax your zipper? Do you wax the whole zipper or just the starting portion that goes into the car/box? Thanks
Depends on if its a metal or plastic zipper. Metal you do whole zipper with McNetts zip tech and plastic you can put where the zipper locks in. Also you can use vasoline in zipper lock to help seal. Wash zipper really good before you put wax on and do it often. River grit ruins them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Depends on if its a metal or plastic zipper. Metal you do whole zipper with McNetts zip tech and plastic you can put where the zipper locks in. Also you can use vasoline in zipper lock to help seal. Wash zipper really good before you put wax on and do it often. River grit ruins them.
Great video from Kokatat about dry-suit care. https://kokatat.com/support/product-use-care

From Kokatat:
"The zipper is one of the most sensitive components of your drysuit. Treat it carefully. The most common causes of zipper leakage are failure to close the zipper firmly, or dirt in the zipper teeth or closing end.

1. Pull the zipper in a straight line, in a smooth and even motion. Avoid yanking or pulling to the side. Have another person help you if you cannot easily reach any part of the zipper. Be especially gentle in colder air and water temperatures.

2. Never force a jammed zipper. Unzip, examine the jammed point for obstruction or damage, then carefully try again. Zipping over a piece of dirt or underclothes can derail the teeth and ruin the zipper.

3. The zipper is most vulnerable to damage when you are getting in and out of your suit. Be sure the zipper is open completely, and try not to put force on the ends that could tear the zipper apart.

4. Keep sand and dirt out of the teeth and the closing end of the zipper. Clean the zipper occasionally with mild soap, water and a toothbrush. Lubricate occasionally with a light coat of paraffin, beeswax for metal tooth zippers. For plastic water tight zippers, a dab of McNett Zip Tech Semi-Solid Zipper Lubricant in the closing end improves sealing.

5. Dry suits should be stored in a clean, dry environment. Metal tooth zippers should be partially closed with the zipper slide left about 2 inches open. This will help alleviate pressure on the sealing elements. Plastic water tight zippers should be stored in the entirely closed position. Store either hanging or loosely rolled."

·
Abron Cabron
611 Posts
Depends on the Brand as well.
NRS didnt recommend trimming, just stretching, (last i checked 5 yrs ago....am long since done with NRS dry wear, poor quality gaskets.Lots of other great gear from them, but skip the drywear...)
Kokatat recommends stretching wrists gaskets and trimming the neck.
carefully, of course. as everone else said.
I just got my dysuit back from koko with new gaskets, (awesome repair dept,3 week turnaround...)
and I had to do this myself. I was nervous about it too, but its not bad if you dont stretch the gaskets too tight.(too much tension stretched around too wide of an object will cause bad results when you cut it... )
i left it stretched for a couple weeks first, but there was no way (i have a thick ol' neck as well)
I used a windshield washer fluid gallon jug for the neck and constuction rolls for the wrists to stretch on. PB jars would work maybe.

i would recommend first, check kokatat.com, care instuctions, and google it. check the youtube dIY videos that are available,a couple different techniques are always good reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IshuqEX6Q7c

use a scalpel or razor, and a plastic cookie jar (i actually found one from Xmas that worked great, unlikely as it may be, or the 1 gal. paint bucket would be perfect..) turn the gasket inside out, and cut just above the rings, in a long smooth cut, to avoid making the little jagged edges that will shred your neck for the next 4 years.
if you use a good sharp razorblade and have good light, its not too bad. i cut 2 rings at first, and then one more cause it was still too tight. pull the cut ring away from the rest of the gasket to help it separate, to avoid multiple passes. and jagged cuts.
the dude in the video has good pointers, dont rush it, make smooth cuts, and dont cut too much cause you cant take it back. to test it, wear it for 20 minutes at home to see if you can tolerate the squeeze. mines still tight, cut down 3 rings, but once hopefully, it will get better sooner then later.. just need to actually get out and stretch it the right way...in cold water...lol
hope this helped a bit. good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts