Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what's the best way to cut a slot (say for a std strap) into diamond plate?

I was thinking a dremel or rotozip with a metal cutting bit after drilling a pilot hole.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Draw a line where you want the slot. Use a punch to make dimples then drill holes along it with a bit that is the width you would like the slot to be, then use a small file to connect them and clean up the edges. If you want them perfect take it to a machine shop.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Waay too much work. I already did one with a cutting wheel on my dremel and then filed it down with file. I'll let you know how I make out with the metal cutting bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Another method would be to drill a couple holes on opposite ends of the slot, and then cut out the rest with a jig saw and metal blade. File and Sand with Emory cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
So is your plasma cutter in the shop?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hole on either end- two plunge cuts with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Line up the cuts with the outer edges of the holes you drilled. Minimal deburring with a file. The metal cutting but will wander badly- and create a sharp and ragged slot that's hard to clean up and make right.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hole on either end- two plunge cuts with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Line up the cuts with the outer edges of the holes you drilled. Minimal deburring with a file. The metal cutting but will wander badly- and create a sharp and ragged slot that's hard to clean up and make right
Hmmm....that's what I was afraid of. I like the approach of the holes on either side. I tried to do it with just the plunge cut but because of the radius of the cutting wheel the edges of the hole were tough. The two holes will eliminate that.

Thanks for the guidance.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Second, the two homes and a jig saw. Don't have to use a metal bit...eventually a wood blade will die, but you should get the job done first. Carbide tools are ideal, but good luck finding a carbide jig saw blade...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Homes = holes, another damn auto correct

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
You won't find a carbide jigsaw blade- carbide is too brittle for that application. Carborundum disc (cutoff wheel) is the right tool for that. Wear EYE PROTECTION!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
http://m.lowes.com/pd_311701-353-T1... my DROID RAZR using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
He is cutting a slot for a cam strap- two plunge cuts with a Dremel sized wheel is not gonna be hard to control at all. If you're worried about slag, just cover with alu foil.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Osseous has it right...this is for a 1" cam strap. I vote for the two holes and the dremel plunge cut. I'll let you know how it works. I'll be pickup up a piece of scrap diamond plate to play with :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
The easiest way I've found is using a plunge router and a straight sided bit of 3/8" diameter. You must wear good eye protection of the goggle variety because standard glasses will let shavings in from the side. It makes a hell of a mess but its fast and easy.

It doesn't apply to this project but you can cut Al plate with a regular skill saw, table saw or chop saw. Just mark and blade and keep it separate so you don't waste all your finish blades.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts