Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a custom frame for our 14.5 Maravia. We do all sorts of trips in this boat, from day fishing trips to week long desert floats. Can't decide if I should go with double dry boxes, or a hatch/bag rig up front and row of my dry box. I do plan on a set of captains boxes, too.

Looking for feedback.

thanks!

Bob

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,427 Posts
Nobody ever says they wish they had less dry space. That said a hatch is a great way to be a bit more versatile . For instance if you go 18.5-19" it can accept a row of rockets on a grand trip, can be a catchall on shorter floats to keep things tidy and or from going north in the stern, its a nice spot to house a table for multi days, etc. Its a tough call.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I personally really like having a drop bag up front for stuff like folding chairs and roll a tables and pop up pits, and I like have a wide, level, LOW bench for passengers that accommodates a sleeping pad for their lounging. I sit on a dry box and I can see over their heads better with a frame level bench, and I think it's probably a little more secure for them in the bumps.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The difference in setting up a frame for a cooler and two dry boxes is no different than a drop bag, cooler and dry box. So if you're thinking of a custom frame, it doesn't matter for the frame, just if you're buying one box/drop bag or two boxes. Personally, I alternate on a box or bag in the front bay depending on the trip and what I'm carrying and always row off a box in the back. If you can afford a second box and a bag, I'd buy them. A table is a great hatch. If you think you'll never need a second box, save yourself a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 14.5' Maravia New Wave with 2 dry boxes. You could probably save some weight with a drop bag, but by the time you put a table on it for a hatch, it's probably close to a wash. Mine has the kitchen box/legs set up, so I don't need a table with it. And I like being able to close it all up before I go to bed and the wind block is nice for the stove when I need it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I seem to always be carrying the kitchen so 2 boxes is a must. If you are packing a kitchen I would go with 2 boxes. I have a 15'6R so have the benefit of two boxes a cooler and a 12 inch bonus bay with a drop bag..

·
Never enough free time
338 Posts
I solved the problem for myself when I got a kitchen box...I do use a drop bag/table in that bay when day tripping. It keeps the passengers lower, but for multi-days I think having the kitchen box is what gets me invited as often as not. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Drop bag.
Captains boxes are an underrated luxury. Wish I had stepped up sooner than I did. For trips up to 6 people I use one (12x24") for the kitchen. They are very versatile, great for car camping etc etc

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will always find a need for the extra dry box. We went with two and I am SO glad that we did. We got a custom frame made for our 15' Maravia and our 10' RMR from Recretec. I could not recommend them enough. Amazing to work with, top notch quality and the frame is super light but the strength and durability is not compromised.

·
Registered
92 Posts
More than half the crap that ends up in a “dry box” doesn’t need to be in there...
This... and I'm pretty sure they sell "crap" that goes in a drybox! You'll love it but with time you may ask "do I need it?" on every trip. I love my incredibly oversized drybox but it does beg the question of how much crap do I have today?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for all the great feedback! Stopping in to see the Mad Cow folks today....might get expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This... and I'm pretty sure they sell "crap" that goes in a drybox! You'll love it but with time you may ask "do I need it?" on every trip. I love my incredibly oversized drybox but it does beg the question of how much crap do I have today?
How big of a drybox do you have? Where did you get it from? Looking for a massive one myself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I solved the problem for myself when I got a kitchen box...I do use a drop bag/table in that bay when day tripping. It keeps the passengers lower, but for multi-days I think having the kitchen box is what gets me invited as often as not. :)
The kitchen box guy is the first person we call when we are organizing a trip. I really noticed a big difference in terms of space and safety when I got a custom frame. Once you get it set up just right it saves a tremendous amount of time too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts