Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
specifically looking for a yearly update of the Middle (Ridgeway->Res) and Lower (Res->Billy Creek) runs. Any new wood, any rapid changes? Access issues? Looking at rallying down Saturday for a double dip.....anybody who wants to join is welcome, and any info would be much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The quality quickie was good two weeks ago at 900ish. Some wood on the sides, but all was avoidable. Not sure about the other sections.

·
Registered
808 Posts
ouray thru koa campground good to go. getting a couple laps on the QQ today. it is about 680 now, great level--as friendly as it gets.
Cutch--know anyone who hit QQ at hi flow? it hit 1700 this year and i'll bet it was screaming. my highest is 1150, and that was rockin', i opted out of lap 2 at that level.
yeti--try the raft company in ridgway--they are the only ones i know who run below the ridgwaves.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
steven, cutch, thanks for the info. i will call around ridgeway today.

ricky- the "V" is essentially one long class V section, its not really a rapid. its not really feasible to run from ouray to the bridge and then walk the V section, because that is about a mile long, and the takeout is right at the end of it. so just run from ouray to the bridge, call it good, and then go run something else in the area.

the bible called it dead on, when there is enough flow, you could float from the V takeout down to Ridgeway, but im sure there are lots of fences and man made hazards present

·
Registered
808 Posts
there is a large eddy on river right above the crux s-turn. you can use that to portage the crux 100yards and still boat the class 4 above and below at this med. level.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone interested in floating the Unc with us on Saturday, July 5th? We're looking pretty serious about coming over, but we really don't want to drive two cars! We're trying to find someone to come with us and be shuttle bunny but were not having much luck yet, so at this point, is anyone else going to boating in that area on saturday?

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah I dont think we'll be up to doing the QQ.....im rallying down with my buddy and we both IK it up. we're both solid boaters but i think that is too big of a step up for us at this point. lookin more at the ridgewaves -> reservoir section and the reservoir -> billy creek section....

what about the ouray run, is the footbridge in the ouray park passable at this level? would a box canyon -> QQ put in run be worth the drive, coupled with a run on one of the others downstream?

·
Super Moderator
3,974 Posts
No boating below Ridgway Resevoir dam at Ridgway State Park

FYI Folks,

Mt. Buzz got the message below from the Park Manager at Ridgway State Park.

-AH

I am the Park Manager at Ridgway State Park and have had two unhappy folks this week who arrived believing they can launch a raft or kayak below the dam at Ridgway Resevoir (On the Uncompahgre). Unfortunately when that site was opened in 1995 it included a Regulation that no boats are to be operated on any waters on Ridgway State Park below the dam. The unhappy visitors cited mountainbuzz.com as their source and when I did a quick search it does have entries which include launching below the dam. While it is not possible to raft below the dam, it is legal and encouraged to raft into the reservoir from the Town of Ridgway so we hope to see folks from mountainbuzz.com coming from that direction. Please contact me if I can provide any information.

Thank you,

Kirstin Copeland

[email protected]

--------------------------------
END MESSAGE

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a total load of bull, and I dont like it at all. Pudlic paddlers, being denied access to a PUBLIC FACILITY that was built with our tax dollars and lottery tickets. So why can any joe schmo who doesn't appreciate it get to go in and trash the place, but eco-sensitive boaters are told to "wait outside"? Shady.

I emailed "Kristin" a few minutes ago asking for documentation and some exact reasoning, with examples, on why it is closed.

A few minutes after that I sent a similar email to Nathan Fey, Colorado's resident AW rep and asked him his thoughts on the situation.

I intend to get some answers on this one.....

·
Registered
808 Posts
don't worry about it-just put in off the highway a mile or so down, or go for it out of the state park stealthily--it's not like they could ticket you or anything. stupid rule. ask Nathan where the rafters put in. here is what i sent:
Kristen-
It IS possible to raft/kayak below the damn. People will continue to exercise this right. If it turns into a problem, we will fight for our legal state right to float the river, and your policy will end up being revised. Not being confrontational, but a lot of us have dealt with these type of issues for many years and know our rights re floating waterways through public or private property.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts