Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know when the road to the Crystal Mills Run will be drivable? June, July? On top of that, Im interested in the falls. What dangers / obsticles lurk around the falls? Ive heard that there is a ledge about halfway down that can flip a boat if hit straight on.

Thanks

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
I'm interested as well, is it a boof move or a pencil move. I think there were some shots of it on the americanwhitewater page.

·
Registered
746 Posts
the road will be drivable in june for sure...The falls is pretty straight forward with a worst case swim in the hole at the bottom...The falls over a thousand is very difficult to avoid getting STOMPED in the bottom....One other drop on the run before the c-gorge that can be scouted...Pretty easy run in general with light wood...
Gary

·
Registered
490 Posts
We did this run last year in late-May when the Crystal @ Avalanche gauge was ~900. Didn't do the falls though, it looks stomper at the bottom and the lead in did not look easy either. There's a corner, a quick step, then the big drop. Goto the page below and there's some pics of the falls, the munchy hole after at the bottom of said falls, and the other drop (6' ledge) on the run that the above post mentions. It's a fun run for the views and all, but for pure boating pleasure I thought Bogan Canyon and the Narrows were better. Take a big truck if you go up to the mill falls, too. Roads not gnarly, but more clearance is better. I would NOT take a car up there.

www.midgetspanking.com/Misc/index_3.htm

·
Registered
139 Posts
We took an old Subaru wagon up there....wouldn't do it again without more clearence. We actually had to leave the car at one point and hike ther rest of the way to the falls because of snow and the road. We didn't run the falls either.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I put a pic in the photo gallery of Crystal mills falls at around a 1000...The road is brutal up there,but it does'nt get much prettier in Colorado...
Gary[/img]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts