Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what would be a good water level for running the Crystal Mill Falls for the first time? Any other beta would be appreciated..

Thanxs

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The first time I ran crystal mill falls the gauge was at 480cfs at redcliff. it is 700 now and would probably still be a good first time level. I'd say it is good to go.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I would like to clarify - this was my first time visiting the falls upon re-reading my post I make it sound like I've run it numerous times and that 500 was a good first time level. I'm no authority in this area and just returned from visiting, I would go run it now and I plan on returning in a few weeks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ran it last weekend a couple times. Good line is to boof out of the river right eddy at the lip driving left, onto the lateral wave, and take a big right boof stroke, landing on the left side of the falls with as much speed as possible. My buddy ran it river right the first time and got spanked and swam. Then he tried the "good line" and got spanked and swam. The hole at the bottom is really sticky, he disappeared for almost 10 seconds. Charge hard!

·
Registered
261 Posts
The first time I ran crystal mill falls the gauge was at 480cfs at redcliff. it is 700 now and would probably still be a good first time level. I'd say it is good to go.
So when you say you ran it...you meant...you didnt run it...

I ran Crystal Mill falls two weekends ago at around 450 cfs. I charged from the top and always landed flat however didn't ever get a real good boof stroke and the falls sucked me back in. The bottom of the falls is a powerful hole making it an excellent sight for a mill (hence the mill) however swiming it sucks and you should expect to get recired overhead dam style at least once. I swam two of three. I would have laped it tell I nailed it but the swim SUCKS. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
i don't know if you are joking w me or not but i ran it twice last saturday. i did not get recirculated though and thought the same thing about the river left eddy working in favor of the mill.

I am assuming that the 750cfs range is just as good if not better. the book says 500-1500 and i thought 500 was a little low. I ran it from the top both times so i can not comment on starting in the eddy abouve the wave.

I plan on going back out there in a week or two to get more laps on crystal mill and to roll the dice on the n.f and punchbowls.

If you are getting worked and can't handle the swim, maybe it is over your head mentally and that is where you struggle, that is not a hole.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wouldn't run north fork or punchbowls if I were you...but if you do...let me know...I need somebody to show me the lines...I'll bring hotdogs!

·
Registered
79 Posts
We ran the North fork (upper and lower) and the punchbowls last weekend too. I'm thinking about heading back this weekend if the levels hold, it was on the low side last weekend, i thought, especially for the lower NF. Maybe hit Yule if it's in. Anyone gonna be there who wants to huck?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ran meatgrinder north fork and punchbowls two weeks ago. Would like to go back. I work Friday and Sunday. I'm off Saturday not such a long drive from Avon...but only if bob will be there to help with my mental game...what's yur plan Saturday?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ran it last weekend a couple times. Good line is to boof out of the river right eddy at the lip driving left, onto the lateral wave, and take a big right boof stroke, landing on the left side of the falls with as much speed as possible. My buddy ran it river right the first time and got spanked and swam. Then he tried the "good line" and got spanked and swam. The hole at the bottom is really sticky, he disappeared for almost 10 seconds. Charge hard!
It sounds like your buddy needs to learn how to kayak. What a gaper.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It sounds like your buddy needs to learn how to kayak. What a gaper.
That's good advice for sure. I think said buddy would probably cite his toothpick-shaped paddle as the reason for swimming 2x, but lack of skill is certainly the culprit. At least Kato got a good laugh. What your kayaking partners lack in skill can sometimes be made up by self-deprecating humor.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I love the classic double swims that frequently happen on this drop. Nothing worse than taking a worse beating on your redemption run!

·
Registered
79 Posts
It was hilarious. I think the tour group on the bank got a kick out of it too! That drop is kinda a roll of the dice though, so his ego didn't get hurt too bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts