Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Two of us put on crystal today and had to hike off due to wood. There is a major log in the first major rapid that requires an epic portage at this level. Iris right before the perfect 15 foot boof.

If you make it in there, go with a group larger than 2. Our portage was so heinus that we had 150' of rope involved. With enough people, the log could possibly be moved up stream and out of play.

Scott

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah. With just two of us on the river, I pulled the plug and we hiked out before we made it to pinetree. The portage was so epic that if we had to do it another time, we might have gotten into trouble.

There's a good anchor spot on RL to pull the tree out if you have time and people. It was 5pm and we had neither.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Confused? Is it in Entrance Exam (the very first significant V)? If so, isn't the hike back to the putin pretty reasonable? Or did you run Entrance Exam and then find the wood?
Joe

·
Fred Gnarquist
403 Posts
Jake has been in there twice, and the wood report on the upper is same as last year(wood just after first drop- easy portage on the left just after the 1st drop, big eddy) No climbing rope need, easy 5 min portage at most. The new wood lies just at the entrance to the inner(just above the no-return 3 footer above Zute), and a way around it has yet to be found, although fear not for it shall.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anyone want to head in there this afternoon? We had a partner bail and are looking for others. Ready to go anytime. It's 12:40 now
Ryan
970-948-7215

·
Fred Gnarquist
403 Posts
Aight yo, here is the deal, jake and I spent probably a good 4 hours getting the log just above zute chute in a passable position today. This involved me tethered in a tiny little cave with a chainsaw, the most sketchy thing I have probably ever done. You are welcome. We scouted all the inner gorge drops we could see, and there is some wood, but it looks like it all goes just fine. I would reccommend a little scout before you drop in there, one rapid is blocked by wood on the right, then left so make sure you know ur lines. The gates to the inner have opened. Run the shit!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice work guys! Thank you for the hard work. Kevin sorry we didn't hook up. Call my phone next time as we might have made it happen. We didn't end up going for it with only two of us in light of recent events. Hoping for Saturday at this point. Thanks again Fred and Jake that definately looked sketchy!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks Fred and Jake! With Pine all messed up, you gotta get the inner to make it worth it. I appreciate your efforts to make this possible. How have runs in Pine been going? Portaging left or running the shitpile?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Runs down Pine tree have been going fine, sure is a bummer that happened though it was much cleaner before. There are three slots to the right of the big rock and we ended up going through the furthest left of the three but i would recommend taking the farthest left channel possible, it goes off like a 15 foot clean boof and you avoid all the jumblyness we didn't run it b/c we couldn't see that it went from the scout.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Aight yo, here is the deal, jake and I spent probably a good 4 hours getting the log just above zute chute in a passable position today. This involved me tethered in a tiny little cave with a chainsaw, the most sketchy thing I have probably ever done. You are welcome. We scouted all the inner gorge drops we could see, and there is some wood, but it looks like it all goes just fine. I would reccommend a little scout before you drop in there, one rapid is blocked by wood on the right, then left so make sure you know ur lines. The gates to the inner have opened. Run the shit!!!!
You first Fred,, if it is so good to go

1 - 18 of 18 Posts