Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what's up with the Cross Mtn gauge? How much longer till that starts running?

·
Registered
112 Posts
you can use the Craig gauge for the meantime, just know there's a day or so delay for the water to get to the gorge. the Deer Lodge Park gauge reflects the addition of the Little Snake, which comes into the Yampa downstream of the takeout.

1000 to 1500 is a good min, but lower runs are possible if you're jonesing (aren't we all).

it's close. a couple of warm days up near Steamboat and it should be good to go.

i'd like to get up there this weekend if the flows right.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
The maybell gauge is broken , but the ones downstream show just under a grand. I don't know for sure, but that seems likely to be accurate. I've nefver run it that low, but I bet it would be alright. Watch the weather, you don't want to be there in a storm.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A crew of us Steamboat Boaters rallied out there last Friday the 12th. The air temp topped around 70 degrees and it was pretty nice. There were 3 ice bridges. One really long stretch in between the puting and the first real rapids, this we portaged. The two closer to the take out were shorter and had little gradient so we paddled up on top of the and pushed, skating to safety. I guess you figure it by subtraction the little snake flow from the deer lodge flow, we though it was around 5-6 hundred on our run and it was fun. There was ice everywhere and the water was damn cold, bring pogies and a skull cap and be ready to be pissed off if you roll or do too much playboating. I took my creek boat and just wrote it off as a warm up run, escalante should be up in a bit! As those ice bridges get thinner I would not recommend paddling up and over them.

NICK HINDS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts