Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
tytanr
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking out trip options for holiday paddling What's the consensus of Cross Mt.Gorge in the 400-500 cfs range? Any Craig or Steamboat boaters have some insight? Thx

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have paddled it down to about 500 cfs. It is doable as an ELF run. If memory serves me, it is Sieve City that gets the tightest. I recall sliding over a small ledge river right at the top of the rapid. The rest was good to go. FWIW, it is raining pretty hard in Steamboat today so we should see the water level come up some for the weekend.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've run it down to 350 cfs.... it's still fun and the flat is still deep enough to make it into the rapids. Go for it!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Seeking out trip options for holiday paddling What's the consensus of Cross Mt.Gorge in the 400-500 cfs range? Any Craig or Steamboat boaters have some insight? Thx
Send me your email address (to: mike dot curiak at gmail) and I'll shoot you a few pics to give you an idea of what it was like yesterday. ELF on the approach for sure, but there's always a deep channel if you're heads up. Plenty of water once the canyon constricts.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Could this run be done by an enterprising duckyer (with a good crew) at 350-400 ish? Always wanted to get in there....don't mind portaging a drop or two if need be!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Nice pics Mike. Thanks for sharing, looks like fun in a beautiful canyon.
Thanks!

P.S. Any thoughts on why/how long the bump on the Ark will last?

Yeti: Can't see a good reason why not. Scout the blind stuff, walk if needed, bump down the boogie. Give yourselves plenty of time--we scouted 4 times, each took ~30 minutes from eddying out til we were both in the pool below, peeling out for the next section.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Thanks, Mike. I've always thought about doing it but haven't considered it seriously until recently. Probably won't happen until next summer at the earliest but good to know it's just about what I thought it would be like.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
My expectation is that the flow will slowly continue to drop, we got big rain on Tuesday. Thinking it will be in the 300-350 range below Granite this weekend.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Well, I'm back in the 'Nam for the year so it wont happen anytime until next year. But, when I come back for my yearly visit next year I will try to schedule it so I try and get on it, and I would love to have anyone and everyone to join. Will keep you posted in about 11 months.

Also, Logan......did you mistakenly reply to the "Browns at 600" post in this one instead? Oops.... :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
count me in on this run also. Would like to do it when water is a bit cleaner though. Would like to be able to spot those pesky sleeper rocks if possible. Also have several other kayakers planning on this run next year. Great video and trip as usual, Mike. Thanks! Notice that it is listed as a class IV (V) for normal flows, so lets catch it on the bottom end, hey!

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
theres so much silt and clay in the Yampa drainage that I don't think it will ever be clear.....i think it's always gonna be brown, my friend!

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Well, I'm back in the 'Nam for the year so it wont happen anytime until next year. But, when I come back for my yearly visit next year I will try to schedule it so I try and get on it, and I would love to have anyone and everyone to join. Will keep you posted in about 11 months.

Also, Logan......did you mistakenly reply to the "Browns at 600" post in this one instead? Oops.... :D
Nope. I was responding to this small hidden question.....

P.S. Any thoughts on why/how long the bump on the Ark will last?

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Ahhhhh, I missed the sneaky thread-jack attempt. My apologies, sir, and I retract my accusation! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts