Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question - but is there any chance Cross is free of ice.

I'm supposed to ski at steamboat this weekend, but a little low water kayaking might be a better option.

thanks

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So no first hand knowledge, but the town run in steamboat is free of ice bridges and we have had a very warm spell lately that is not breaking before the weekend. Thinking back to my runs last year I would be very surprised if it was still iced in given the winter. Not that this helps but I have been thinking the same thing and if I get off early tomorrow might take a drive to check conditions, will post if I do.

Just my second season local up here so I could be very off base and wrong though....

·
Registered
465 Posts
Paddled it today and she's good to go! The gauge is still frozen so we estimated flow in the canyon to be about 1,000cfs, and rising. Today was bluebird, warm, and breezy in spots. There's still a little ice and snow on the banks, but the river itself is clear. Sure felt great to get back on the water!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
Launching from deer lodge in the morning. Frenchy, do you recommend launching form Cross with loaded 10' boats? It adds 15 miles, but only $10 to the shuttle!.

Cross would be a nice warm up for lowers, right?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey Dave, I'm not sure. Cross yesterday felt a bit technical for a fully loaded 10' hybrid. I just don't have any experience paddling that kind of vessel yet. I think it would be fun but honestly don't know. Would love to hear how it goes. Wish I was coming with you guys, have fun.

·
Registered
765 Posts
We did it in rafts at 1650 and it was good. Not terrifying,but that's not 2500. That water between cross and deerldge would be brutal in any wind. Hope to get back this year at a similar flow...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts