Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather is suppose to be fantastic for all of Colorado this weekend, so we are looking at another great late run. Trying to put a good crew together to do the Cross Mountain Gorge on the Yampa outside of Craig. This is a new run for most of us, but at 560 cfs it should only be about III+ so a good entry level for first time. I am looking to get at least 5 or 6 paddlers committed with at least 1 who knows the lines. If flows fall below 400 then we might have to consider going to Shoshone so we shall see by friday morning cfs guage.
Ty, see who you can get to go from Grand Junction. Hope you have healed completely by now. If not maybe we should just do Shoshone; actually have several people who want to do that for sure. Oh and by the way this trip plan is for Sat. Oct. 18.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Should be a good level, may rise a bit. Lots of sieves in there. Do not swim. I would say there are a handful of creeky class iv moves even at 500 cfs. Definitely not the Ark.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Should be a good level, may rise a bit. Lots of sieves in there. Do not swim. I would say there are a handful of creeky class iv moves even at 500 cfs. Definitely not the Ark.
Hey late night: you seem to know the run pretty well. How would you compare a low water cross creek run with a low water Arkansas numbers run - skill wise and safety wise?

Low water numbers is at the top end of my comfort level.

Thanks

·
tytanr
116 Posts
Weekend boating.

No boating for me this weekend. I'm still out of commission with my muscle tear. Might be the end of my season if it doesn't start healing faster.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear that Ty, so that makes my decision pretty easy; I think I will just plan on doing Shoshone. I'll touch base with all the other usual paddlers and just recommend plan changes. We'll just wait till next year for Cross Mountain, and I'll take my daughter up to Glenwood Springs. Maybe next year we will have more time to plan a big group get together.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Gunther Ill be getting on the river this weekend. was considering a trip to moab to run the daily. but ill probably just stay local! I am thinking about doing the whole float down to two rivers or south canyon. will talk tomorrow!

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's a modest step up from low water numbers. No hiking out. Many more sieves and undercuts. More pool drop, with 3 or 4 more technical drops similar to the bottom 2 drops in four falls of Bailey, or the boulder garden at foxton. You should have a reliable roll.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cross mountain is a super fun run. I would be down for a trip up there. I would be coming from Carbondale.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
794 Posts
The weather is suppose to be fantastic for all of Colorado this weekend, so we are looking at another great late run. Trying to put a good crew together to do the Cross Mountain Gorge on the Yampa outside of Craig. This is a new run for most of us, but at 560 cfs it should only be about III+ so a good entry level for first time. I am looking to get at least 5 or 6 paddlers committed with at least 1 who knows the lines. If flows fall below 400 then we might have to consider going to Shoshone so we shall see by friday morning cfs guage.
Ty, see who you can get to go from Grand Junction. Hope you have healed completely by now. If not maybe we should just do Shoshone; actually have several people who want to do that for sure. Oh and by the way this trip plan is for Sat. Oct. 18.
Got your voicemail but you didn't leave a return #.

Not that I could have called back--I was 15 days into a 21 day Grand trip anyway...

Back now. What's still running? Westwater, Gunny Gorge, Shoshone? Anything else?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts