Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone run it at this level? Looking to do some laps on some big water in prep for the Grand next March.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Anyone run it at this level? Looking to do some laps on some big water in prep for the Grand next March.
Cross Mountain will be nothing like the Grand, especially at 9000 cubes. I personally, being a mortal boater cut it off at 4000 cubes. Better bring your dancing shoes..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Back around 1980 a team of 6 world class kayakers tried to run it at 11,000cfs while being televised on ABC's Wide World of Sports. The 1st kayaker ( a US Team member)who tried to run the river wide hole at the entrance ended up surfing it with multiple rolls for about 10 minutes before he swam out of it, nearly drowning in the process (he was rescued by the helicopter). The rest of the team portaged and did the rest of the run.
If you go, good luck, you will need it!

·
Registered
421 Posts
A group of us ran it last weekend in creekboats, probably just below 10,000. We walked Osterizer, but a braver paddler could have probably made it down the center. Definitely not a place to be swimming. I've never done the Grand, but Cross was about as stompy and pushy as I have ever paddled. Here is a pic of a cow running some unnamed rapid.

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3603&c=5

1 - 4 of 4 Posts