Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any CB locals help me out.....

Got the old folks in for a visit..... was planning a trip to CB and take them for a drive

was planning to drive up Washington Gulch to Scholfield pass and down to Gothic and back to town for burritos

I dont know the road condition between Elkton and Scholfield pass......

I am driving a stock all wheel drive truck will normal clearence

tell me what you know

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
Skip the Elkton route, and do the Schofield-Paradise Divide loop. Go up and over Schofield (unless the snowfield is blocking the road), drive down to the top of the Punchbowls (stopping to see the Double Drop along the way) and then come back, but turn and go over Paradise Divide to get back to CB. Great loops, beautiful, takes a few hours if you slow it down. Lots of good short mini hikes to do in the area, the Punchbowls, EF Crystal, upper Rock Creek. Bonus points if you can find Miner's Falls, the 50' falls lurking in the woods just off the Pass road, just upstream of the EF/SF Crystal confluence.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping to do the short Elkton route due to be fact I don't want to spend all day in the my moms soccer truck SUV with the inlaws.

The plan was to get out on top of the pass and ride 401 and they can walk around Gothic and wait for us.

So does anyone know the Elkton to Schofield rd goes ?

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
There is no direct road between Elkton and Schofield.

Look at a map of the CB area. There are three roughly parallel valleys, starting with the Slate River on the left, what's called "Washington Gulch" in the middle, and the East River on the left. The Slate and the East are obviously much deeper and wider. Just north of those valleys is the valley containing Schofield Park and the upper headwaters of the Crystal.

Paradise Divide is the name of the pass between the Slate River valley and the Crystal Headwaters. Schofield Pass is the pass between the East River Valley and the Crystal Headwaters. There is a road connecting the two in Schofield Park, and you can drive up one and down the other usually pretty easily, I've seen Toyota Corollas (wouldn't recommend it but it happens) but anything Subaru or over will do fine.

Elkton is at the head of Washington Gulch, and the only road to and from it comes up from a road between CB and Mt CB and then goes over a small pass on the ridge to the west (rd 851 I think?) and joins the Paradise Divide Road a mile or so below Paradise Divide itself, on the CB side. There is no road between Elkton and Schofield as there is a big thing called "Mt Baldy" between the two of them. So to loop up Elkton and Schofield, you will one way or another drive over Paradise Divide too.

You can go up Wash Gulch, past Elkton, over the hill to Paradise Divide, and back down to CB, or reverse, up Slate and down Wash Gulch.

You can go up Wash Gulch, over the ridge to Paradise Divide, over that, and back to Mt. CB over Schofield, or you can reverse that, Schofield -> Paradise Divide -> Elkton and back to CB.

You can go up Paradise Divide and come back over Schofield, or reverse.

You can NOT go to Schofield and Elkton without going over Paradise Divide, unless you go up to Elkton, all the way back down to Mt. CB, and then up Schofield.

Like I said, I recommend skipping Elkton (meh) and just doing the Paradise Divide / Schofield Loop. You cut off a few miles by doing it but in the big scheme of things it isn't much different, and IMHO the valley of the Slate is much more scenic and beautiful to drive up/down. But do what you want, hope this helps.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no direct road between Elkton and Schofield.

Look at a map of the CB area. There are three roughly parallel valleys, starting with the Slate River on the left, what's called "Washington Gulch" in the middle, and the East River on the left. The Slate and the East are obviously much deeper and wider. Just north of those valleys is the valley containing Schofield Park and the upper headwaters of the Crystal.

Paradise Divide is the name of the pass between the Slate River valley and the Crystal Headwaters. Schofield Pass is the pass between the East River Valley and the Crystal Headwaters. There is a road connecting the two in Schofield Park, and you can drive up one and down the other usually pretty easily, I've seen Toyota Corollas (wouldn't recommend it but it happens) but anything Subaru or over will do fine.

Elkton is at the head of Washington Gulch, and the only road to and from it comes up from a road between CB and Mt CB and then goes over a small pass on the ridge to the west (rd 851 I think?) and joins the Paradise Divide Road a mile or so below Paradise Divide itself, on the CB side. There is no road between Elkton and Schofield as there is a big thing called "Mt Baldy" between the two of them. So to loop up Elkton and Schofield, you will one way or another drive over Paradise Divide too.

You can go up Wash Gulch, past Elkton, over the hill to Paradise Divide, and back down to CB, or reverse, up Slate and down Wash Gulch.

You can go up Wash Gulch, over the ridge to Paradise Divide, over that, and back to Mt. CB over Schofield, or you can reverse that, Schofield -> Paradise Divide -> Elkton and back to CB.

You can go up Paradise Divide and come back over Schofield, or reverse.

You can NOT go to Schofield and Elkton without going over Paradise Divide, unless you go up to Elkton, all the way back down to Mt. CB, and then up Schofield.

Like I said, I recommend skipping Elkton (meh) and just doing the Paradise Divide / Schofield Loop. You cut off a few miles by doing it but in the big scheme of things it isn't much different, and IMHO the valley of the Slate is much more scenic and beautiful to drive up/down. But do what you want, hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. As I often find the Topo maps and google maps often show roads that are not real roads anymore.

My maps show a pretty efficient route between Elkton and Schofield pass..... Glad I asked and got some local beta. Thanks much.

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
Well, going from Elkton to Schofield is fairly efficient, you just have to cross Paradise Divide in the process. But its all spectacularly beautiful so its well worth stopping and tooling around for a bit. Some neat tarns at the top of the Divide. It might be busy but the Yule Pass trail is pretty neat. Amazing views and easy. 4 mi RT. Plus lots to see and do in Schofield Park.

There is a road that accesses the upper headwaters of Rock Creek, which combined with the East Fork makes up the SF Crystal. It sometimes has a huge mudpuddle guarding the entrance, sometimes not. Upper Rock Creek has some beautiful sculpted rock waterfalls just above Schofield Park, and Miner's Falls (the 50'r I mentioned earlier) is actually in the lower gorge of Rock Creek too, not the EF or SF Crystal.

There is a 30'-40' NR cascade about a half mile up the East Fork that is neat to look at, too. You can hike up the trail and drop down to it or just hike up the creek, which is what I did.

Below P-Dise Divide Just above the town of Pittsburgh, which is at the end of the flats in the Slate Valley, there is also the NF Slate Falls, which is a stacked set of drops totaling about 120'-140'. This time of year it may not be more than a trickle, but still impressive to see it and imagine people like Gary E greasing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts