Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone from the butte know when ob joy, slate, or daisy will start to run. Im looking to run them for my first time, and ill be in the area mid mayish. Any chance that they will be runnable then? Or is there anyone that would join me and show me the lines??

Josh

·
Registered
503 Posts
this is what obj looked like 5/17/03, we were postholing through thigh deep snow to get to the putin.... and they have much more snow this year. I doubt you will be able to get in there that early, and if you do there will be big scary snow undercuts to deal with... Keep in mind the CB creeks are all pretty much "high alpine".

http://community.webshots.com/album/75706019yauWZR

·
Registered
698 Posts
hey ski-kayak365.... my chick friend said she skied the big drop(OBJ) last week and it was about a 5 foot ledge.....mid may could happen if we get a freaky warm spell like last year...we're buried up here! we'll hook up when you get here....i'll show you the creeks... we'll pick the lines together....still have my number josh....PS the east is great in a playboat as it has some of the best surf in the county....really!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks milo, yep I still have your number. I look forward to it, If not may, then somehow ill get there in june, during main runoff. Ill let you know when escalante runs too if you want to meet there as well.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
I'm gonna hijack your thread a lil bit with a question. For anyone that knows, whats a good progressive order of creeks to do in the butte. Never done any of em and am thinking of possibly gettin down there over the summer. Which ones should ya start with and then work up to.??? thanks for any info

·
Registered
503 Posts
the order from easiest to hardest...

1. East River Class IV
2. Daisy Creek V-
3. Slate River V
4. OBJ V

All in all the cb creeks are not "hair", generally very forgiving and easy lines for the amount of gradient there...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Gonna have to disagree a little, badkins. As long as you leave Wicked Wanda out (and her plumbing is usually choked anyway), then I'd swap Daisy and the Slate in order and rating...

1. East River Class IV
2. Slate River V-
3. Daisy Creek V
4. OBJ V

·
Registered
846 Posts
I agree that daisy is more along the lines of a V, if you are running big wood and rip your head off.

Also, although these creeks are not "hair," they will be a lot harder and more full on with high water, as we will likely see for a good time during runoff this year. Thus, if you are new to the runs, it is better to catch them lower first, because missing your boof with a lot of water would not be too fun (big hydraulics).

·
Registered
882 Posts
Scouted Rip Your Head Off last year when we were at OBJ - that particular drop looks nastier and more consequential than any of the drops on OBJ. But I bet it's sweet if you nail it.

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
... they are all alpine boating with fresh wood every season....the East is the most playful, Slate is the most tricky, Daisy is the most rugged....OB Joyful is the most popular... and RIP YOUR HEAD OFF, does its best to take care of that!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
more hijacking...

can anyone confirm the location of the big slide into a clean 40 footer that was featured in the CO segment of Off the Deep End (1999) - I think it was a colorado pro running it in a black micro. Is that drop above the normal Daisy run?

·
Registered
698 Posts
erik voake was my roomate at the time of the making of the film and it was for sure from the crystal drainage... brent topper ran it...and smashed hard at the bottom because of the rocks... watch it again.... you hear him hit..... north fork crystal, i wanna say...upper daisy is featured in "no big names" byA.M.P.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So then looking at experience, what should be expected for butte creeks? Ive got 2yrs whitewater experience, solid IV boater, the only V's ive done are gore, escalante (not the falls), pine creek, and some deep pool drop (up to 30fters) in Chile. Im confident with my roll and my abilities. Is that all I need or should I get more experience? ----FOR Milo, you told me no one under age 25 should run the black, im 21, so what does that tell you for experience????------

Thanks for all the info guys

·
Registered
698 Posts
come take a look at them and then you decide what you can pull off...that easy....as far as the "under 25 thing" and the BLACK.....this refers to the ability to suffer and still keep your shit together....some sketchy rapids follow the portage....proven fact: suffering is easier(more acceptable) for those with age under their belt....we'll have a good ole time on the creeks , don't you fret! peace.. i'm off to go big in the terrain park!!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Milo,
Isn't t the Euro Cypher somewhere down @ the bottom of Stupid from the old days of wrestlin the midget? :wink:

·
Registered
112 Posts
skikayak365,

sounds like you've got enough experience to check them out. i'd recommend heading over there, running the upper east and then going and scouting OBJ, watch some boaters run it and see what you think. you can scout literally the whole creek on the walk up. like milo said, daisy is more rugged and much more difficult to scout the in between stuff. the other thing you can try, which i did my first run on OBJ, is to just run the top half and take out above the long avalanche/beaver dam slide. you still get plenty of action including 3 waterfalls. oh, and definitely check out badkins AW site for pics and beta:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/3375/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts