Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old ACG booties are dying (it's a tragedy that they don't make them anymore) and i'm looking for a replacement...

Any advice on a well built shoe that will take some abuse on rough terrain and still fit in a boat other than the gus? my acg's logged some 50 hrs. of hiking on crappy trails before starting to fall apart.

i need something solid (my favorite runs have very long, abusive hike-ins, and there's some nasty portaging too), but reasonably low profile, 'cuz my feet are big.

anyone out there have any knowledge of the NRS ATB bootie? looks interesting, but i'm worried it may be too bulky to fit in my huck

I've also heard rumors that five ten have a good creeking shoe out, but i have been unable to find it. anyone know anything about them?

thanks a lot

ferdinand

·
Registered
92 Posts
Que te paso' mop? No confias en mi? Hable con Culopelao y vamos por alli en enero. Si quisieras, te mandaria los zapatos antes de llegarnos. Pues si no ocupas mi ayuda, bueno.
Tu amigita con el corazon roto

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
nike had a good creeking shoe, the tokatee. it is out of production.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know, thats what i've got... anyway, my tokatees are almost gone now, and i'd like to know suggestions about what to replace them with, and i don't know of anything that'll compare to them

it's a real shame, those booties were the s#!t!!! how about flooding nike with petitions to put it back in production?

conmihupa, i do trust you! its just that i still don't know what it is i'd like you to bring down for me! i'm just going thru all of my options before i commit to a pair of shoes!!!

nos vemos en cr

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
We have had several threads about this and sadly I dont think anything compares. I have heard rumors that Teva is going to rerelease their avatars. I am waiting to check those out before I commit to anything else.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sadly, I think Nike is too big a company to care about the niche markets. They also had a canyoneering shoe, the Riovero, for a year or two that was awesome, awesome, awesome and gaining popularity amongst canyoneers, but its such a small market that I don't think Nike realized or cared that they were doing well in it because its such a small market.

Does Five Ten still make the water tennie?

How about the La Sportiva Exum River? Anyone tried this one for creeking? Its a canyoning shoe based on the Exum Ridge: uber-durable, grippy and fast-draining, but very lightwight and low profile. Unfortunately I am more familiar with canyoneering than creeking so I can't really say if it would be great for creeking. I would think, however, that if it fits in your creeker, then it would be awesome because they are very comfortable shoes, very light, drain well (made for walking in water) and the frixion rubber grip is as good as it gets for wet rocks.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/LSP0034/La-Sportiva-Exum-River-Canyoneering-Shoe.html

·
Registered
396 Posts
yeah im leaning towards low top approach shoes myself, the same ones i always wear, with some really good neoprene/polyester socks if i can find some .. i figure if your going to sacrifice your ability to get good kick in the water you might as well wear as good of a pair of soles as you can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks rs cowboy, though i don't think they would fit very well, because of the heel... (you need something with a low profile, rounded heel, otherwise it's always a pain to fit in a boat. even if it fits, it'll tend to rest in an awkward position).

the mion tide scramble looks interesting, has anyone had experience with it?

http://www.backcountry.com/store/MI...4/Mion-Tide-Scramble-Amphibian-Shoe-Mens.html

how's the nrs attack shoe doing in terms of durability?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Teva has a shoe that has a split toe(don't know the modle). I was given a pair by a rep this spring. They still look new after about 15 days and I expect to get years out of them. they might not be hard core enough for you but they are smallish and get good grip on the smooth friction type portages. Would be worth a look. sj

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
sj, i have a pair of the tevas and the grip diff between the nike's and them on wet rocks is huge. The tevas just dont have anywhere near the grip. i use em for playboat shoes and save the tokatee's for anything else.

greg

·
Registered
498 Posts
well I always did like sketchy long runouts on friction climbs :shock: . I allso have a old pair of patgicci CFS that I save for the really hard stuff. But I am digging the teva's for most stuff. sj

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
lol, of course you did but you still had a sticky pair of sportivas on. After having my first nrs boots ripped off my feet on a particularly long and exciting swim I bought the 5.10 mavericks. those things were sooooo sticky but wore out extremely quickly so i have always been looking for something like that.

greg

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have some mions and they are great for kicking around town but when you get them wet and try and go on an incline or decline the insole likes to slip inside the shoe and you feel insecure. they are weird to tighten down too.

I am looking at vibram's five fingers: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/
for a playboat shoe, but havent tried them on yet. Luckily my tokatees are still strong. through portages, swims, hikes, and harvesting shrimp and fish ponds those freaking shoes rock.

-troy

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm in the same boat, lookin for a tough portage machine to replace my NRS attack shoes. They were great, but only lasted two seasons. The FiveTen water tennie looks sweet, but is the ankle support enough, and is the sole to heavy for swims? Tevas lace up (gamma pro) looks decent, but no ankle protection. Anyone used the water tennie, or gamma?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the NRS Attack and like them quite a bit. I haven't done huge portages with them, but they are solid on the rocks and small enough to fit moderately well into my kayaks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
KEEN Banff

KEEN made a piece last year called the Banff. If you're willing to go the way of a shoe in your creek boat as opposed to a bootie style like a Tokatee, this is a great option. Closed mesh - keeps sand & stuff out. Totally waterproof material so it holds no water with the exception of the neoprene-like sock liner. Built like a trail shoe and a little sticky rubber thrown in on the bottom. I actually found it to be warm enough without a neoprene sock, though often I'd add one just for added comfort. It's great for hiking and portages.
The downsize is if you have bigger feet than about an 11 or 11.5. You may run into fit issues inside your boat, depending on what boat you're in I suppose.

You can find them in a few retail stores still as well as on-line.

I hear you guys though. I'd love to see something Tokatee style again.
They've been floating around Nike outlet stores the last 6-8 months for $30

here's on place I found the Banff on-line
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7156096/c/141.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts