Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are full on creekers (Jefe, Rocker, Burn) like as river runners in bigger water? 3000cfs class IV? On something like the Numbers right now?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
The Burn is fine. It kinda feels bouncy at times due to the volume.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I find it much easier to maneuver a river-running playboat in big class IV as opposed to a creeker.
I like my Nomad on Bailey or Gore, but my Rx felt great on the Numbers at 3,280 last weekend. The Rx also was sweet when all the big class 4s were going off in Idaho a few weeks ago - Staircase at 7,000, Lochsa at 7.5 feet ...
The creeker will boof and resurface on those ledgy, rocky creeks, but the playboat will hold its line better as you try to steer across giant waves.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I learned to paddle big water in a LiquidLogic Vision 56 before moving up to a Jefe, and I love it. I demo'd a Remix, Jefe, Hero, and Rocker before deciding on the Jefe. The only other one I liked as much was the Hero. I don't have any problems keeping my Jefe on-line, especially when compared with my Vision. Plus it punches through sticky holes that would've worked me in my playboat.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I will second the Jefe comment. I took it down numbers at 2400 and Browns at 2700 and it was nice. In fact, I would say it was a bit too easy. I took my EZG down Numbers at 3280 with Mike, and I didn't regret it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What are full on creekers (Jefe, Rocker, Burn) like as river runners in bigger water? 3000cfs class IV? On something like the Numbers right now?
Bigger is better if you want less work, less stress and an overall easier day on the river. Simply point the boat where you want to go and go. I paddle a Burn and love it. Remember, 15 years ago everyone paddled a downriver/creek boat on the river.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
Boats with edges certainly help in the bigger water. I can't say enough about how easily the Super hero handled the entire ark, loaded at peak. The 4 fun was great as well in the big water. They both hold a line better than a true creeker, but the smaller boats get flipped and sternied easier too.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Agree with Dave's comments about the edges and tracking in bigger water. Just got the Everest and love it, the only disadvantage I noticed is the length of the boat while trying to catch some of the smaller eddies, this is probably mostly my fault for bad technique.

Its nice to have extra volume and speed when your on bigger water. I also paddle a super fun and notice that I am on end a lot more right now (which is fun on its own) but not always what your looking for when trying to dial a line. However, you get the school of thought that the play boat goes deep and flushes and is not hole bait like the bigger boats are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts