Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a permit coming up in March and wanted to get peoples opinions on if they recommend a play boat or a creeker, or something in between. I thought if I take the playboat I could surf some ginormous waves but in the creeker I can take the meat of most everything. What’s your opinion?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Take a comfy playboat. You can surf huge waves and take the meat of most everythign in a playboat. There are only a couple of large ledge hole features on the grand (ie lava) that you can't run the gut of. Everything else goes pretty much right down the gut if you want to take it on.

I took a river running playboat (EZG 60) that had a bit more space and was more comfy than a tiny playboat, and that worked great. Also, playboats allow for wavewheels on huge wave trains. If you don't know how to do it yet, you will have a couple weeks of practice in the grand to nail it, and its FUN!!!

Also do a search... this is an annual question that likely has 100+ responses on mountainbuzz and boatertalk.

Have fun!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I agree 100 percent with everything Ian said.
I took a Dagger Rx 6.7 (mid-sized playboat) and ran the gut of everything except the ledge hole in Lava. Had the time of my life.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I second the playboat, I took my allstar and loved it. I am very comfy in my Allstar and can handle sitting in it all day without issues, but if you are one of those folks whose playboat makes you hurt after a few hours I would look into something else.

Have fun it is an amazing place.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ryan
I have a similar situation to yours, i launch in Jan. and only have a Jefe or Biscuit, but am currently leaning toward the Biscuit from what I've read on past posts..... take a look at them, they are a bit older but pretty much everyone says more playboat less creeker unless you have to support yourself.... I am thinking about picking something up inbetween the two boats I have, but funds are tight and I'll probably roll with the Biscuit,

Just my thoughts for my first trip down the big 'ol ditch... hope you have a great trip!! I'll repost and let ya know what I think when I get back in Feb from my jaunt down the CO

luke

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet thAnks for the info! I am leaning to my superstar now! can't wAit to get Chundered by some friggen huge holes!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also consider a long boat, anything fast. IMHO, there are more fun long boat waves (many of them are huge, but not steep) and oldschool playboating spots than places where you'd want your playboat.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Playboat 100%. The Grand is all about surfing big waves.

I took a Big EZ down and had a blast. Ran the meat of just about everything. Rolled more times than I can count, but I had a blast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts