Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and am looking at buying my first creek kayak. I have paddled sea kayaks for around 10 years, and have paddled in very rough water and some small creeks. I am looking at buying a Jackson Karma, as I have done a lot of research and think that is the boat I want to buy. I am open to suggestions but I am pretty set on the Karma, what I need help on is the size of the boat. I am 6 foot and I weight 225 pounds, so I am a little bigger guy. I wear a size 11 shoe and wear 38 inch waist pants. I am hoping to lose a little weight and get down to 160-180 pounds. So for a 6 foot tall 225 pound guy with the specs listed above and with the weight loss, what size Jackson Karma would you recommend? Obviously the small size would be too small, and the medium would likely be good after I lost the weight, but who knows, if I stay around 180-190 pounds, would the large be too large? I would rather have a little too much room than be slightly too large for the kayak.

What do you think?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a remix from liquid logic got the bigger boat (79) , it's better to have a little room rather than buying an expensive boat you feel cramped in .

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm 6', 190, size 12 and love the JK Karma Medium. I feel like I'm on the top end of weight to use this as a true creeker but it works great still.

With you being 225 I'd say Large for sure. If you get down to 180 the large will still work but a Med will be a bit more nimble.

The Karma is like cheating. It's such an easy boat to paddle, rolls easy and has super stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would say try and find a beater of a boat to use for your current weight and then when you hit your goal buy a nice new boat that will fit you and your paddling style.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm about your size and a Jackson Karma L is what I paddle... but for many things, it's just HUGE. Look into a new Jackson Zen L, which does much of what a Karma does but isn't so big.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts