Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a winter Grand Canyon trip, and I love bouldering. I want to bring a crash pad, but don't want to ruin it. Anyone have experience with crash pads on the river? Methods to protect it? How detrimental is getting wet to a crash pad?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I am doing a winter Grand Canyon trip, and I love bouldering. I want to bring a crash pad, but don't want to ruin it. Anyone have experience with crash pads on the river? Methods to protect it? How detrimental is getting wet to a crash pad?

Thanks

Is it big enough to also be your bed?
If yu are going to carry it for three weeks, it sould do double duty.

·
Shapp
1,834 Posts
water might f it up if it is open cell foam, if it soaks up water and is wet for a while it wil mold inside. I am pretty sure most crash pads have a sandwich of colsed and open cell foam inside.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’ve been caught out in the rain while camping in Bishop at the Buttermilks. Pad was soaked pretty good; I pulled all of the padding out and let it dry but it took a couple of days. I’d try to keep it dry as possible. Landing on a wet pad sucks also, not so soft, it’s kind of like starch water. You could get one of those construction trash bags to keep it dry. I’ve yet to do the Grand Canyon but from what I understand in the winter you never get direct sunlight, so no drying it out in the sun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts