Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Jackson
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I flipped this weekend and hit my head on a rock on the way over. Once we stopped for a rest, I checked my gopro and helmet for damage.

The Helmet took some damage. The Resin Laminate was cracked in several places and some chipped off the ridge/seem that goes around the helmet.

My questions are:

1. Should I get a new Helmet?
2. Can this be repaired?
3. How would you recommend making the repair.

Are Kayaking helmets made from the type of foam that is one and done. I cant find any info on this.

I know in the Mountain Bike world... helmets are a one and done. One crash and the foam is considered damaged and should not be reused after the hit.

Thanks for reading...

Wook

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good questions. I know how to repair carbon and fiberglass. Seems to me that most kayaking helmets try to dissipate the energy as opposed to bicycle helmets that try to absorb the energy. I think it depends on how much damage was done to the helmet, as it just may not be worth it to repair. If in doubt, get a new lid.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Carbon structures tend to fail catastrophically. If you see some cracking, the actual damage may be more extensive meaning that a second hit could be unmitigated by the shell. FYI, plastic isn't as cool but it can take repeated hits without being compromised.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I work for a outfitter out east and have 2 SR helmets myself.. A buddy of mine has a full face black gold carbon helmet with some carnage .. And while talking with SR rep he said as long as the inner foam panel is intact and it's not that bad damage... Just repair it like fiberglass and go...with carbon of course..

·
Jackson
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am considering fixing it for sure...

As long as I can make a proper repair. I will see what S R has to say about repairing the laminate. I am also wait to here back from Shred Ready about Crash replacemnet.....

Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
579 Posts
the foam is multi impact in kayak helmets.
but the structural integrity of your shell is toast.
.... buy a new helmet.

i cracked a SR full face last year on my 1st run with the helmet, we did not notice the crack till the takeout. one of my paddling buddies was saying how that sucks. the whole 1 run and done thing. my reply was Nope. i'm here talking and laughing about it.

take the broken helmet any day. glad you are ok.

ps, i used it to talk my wife into allowing me to get the sweet full face.

·
Jackson
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny...

Im looking at Sweet Helmets as we speak. I like the Rocker. It seems to me that this would not have happened with the softer shell of the rocker.

But yeah.... I agree, the cost of a helmet is a small price to pay to be able to paddle tomorrow.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would be surprised if they say scrap it but who knows...the guy I know who reps for them is a pretty reliable guy...
Spencer Cooke is his name...look him up .. Should be easy if you have e Eric seen a LVM video ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sell the cracked one to mikethulin1972 and use the cash to buy a new helmet. It's your head. Where your brain lives.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Not trying to be a smartass, but I thought carbon was supposed to be stronger than plastic. If it damages just as easy, why is it so much more expensive? I'm in the market for a new helmet. Should I get plastic rather than carbon?

·
Jackson
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Buy Nice or Buy twice...

Your not being a smart ass at all.....I had the same philosophy. I thought carbon was stronger as well. Thats why I went with the best they had to offer. I figured, as a newb, I would be bashing my head alot. Thats why I got the Carbon. I didnt think it would have broke after one hit like that.

Im not sure how this helmet would have handled a serious hit, like from a drop or an impact out of the water at a high speed.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts