Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I have a simple question about Cottonwood 5 campsite on the Ruby Horsethief. I've got that camp for August 1st. I've never stayed in that camp. I've had Cottonwood 2 several times and Cottonwood 4 once. Mostly now I go for Salt Creek. I think it's slightly less buggy. Truth be told I have reserved Cottonwood 5 once, but when my wife and I arrived around 5pm in our canoe a crew of 8 or so had set up camp in 5. They feigned ignorance, calling it a mistake, but I know they figured no one would show up on a Sunday night after 5. So they took it. It irritated me but they already had their tents set up and were cooking dinner so I didn't make them move. We took 4 and sweltered in the sun. I won't do that again. The next time someone is in my camp I don't care if they're fully set up and it's cocktail time. They're breaking it all down and moving.
Anyway, I've only seen the interior of Cottonwood 5 on that day and briefly. I cannot remember how open it is in there amongst the trees. I have a 10'X10' screen tent that has saved many a trip. My question is is there a big enough open spot in there to pitch this tent? Pic attached. Thanks and I'd love to hear other stories about campsite poaching.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We stayed at Cottonwood 5 a couple of weeks ago... There is plenty of room for your screen tent. The site has numerous nice large tent areas, and a decent beach to hang out on. There is also a nice tree on the left as you enter the site from the beach that worked well for our kitchen area, and a trail back upstream for nice groover locations. There a bunch of large shade trees at the site, and bugs were not an issue.

Our group had never stayed at this site prior, but it is on our radar for sure from here forward... It does make a for a longer 2nd day (if pushing the delta of the float), and I would suggest getting moving a bit earlier to beat the afternoon headwinds after black rocks. Our group lazed around and got a slow start, and the last 8 mi. or so were brutal with headwinds by the time we got to them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We stayed at Cottonwood 5 a couple of weeks ago... There is plenty of room for your screen tent. The site has numerous nice large tent areas, and a decent beach to hang out on. There is also a nice tree on the left as you enter the site from the beach that worked well for our kitchen area, and a trail back upstream for nice groover locations.

Our group had never stayed at this site prior, but it is on our radar for sure from here forward... It does make a for a longer 2nd day (if pushing the delta of the float), and I would suggest getting moving a bit earlier to beat the afternoon headwinds after black rocks. Our group lazed around and got a slow start, and the last 8 mi. or so were brutal with headwinds by the time we got to them.
Good info, thanks. We're staying at Black Rocks the next night and we'll try to be off in time so hopefully wind won't be an issue. I'm a canoeist with his first raft so I'm preparing myself mentally for things to move slower than I'm used to. We can go 6mph in my canoe on the RH without really trying.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cottonwood 5 is massive. You could probably set up 30 of those tents, lol. We have the exact same tent and LOVE it for hiding from bugs or rain. I love that it sets up and breaks down in under a minute and that it isn't too massive packed up.

I've never had camp poaching issues on Ruby Horsethief, but it is always a fear of mine. I love knowing my site is reserved for that night, but am always nervous rounding that last corner that someone will be squatting.

Our neighbors had an issue on their last trip a couple months ago. The two of them were relaxing at their reserved camp at Mee Canyon when a group of 20+ rowed up late in the evening and told them that they had reserved Mee Corner, recreation.gov messed up and double-booked it, so our neighbors would have to share Mee Canyon with them. They were nice enough to allow it. They didn't ask to see the permit. The TL of the large group said it wasn't the first time recreation.gov had double-booked them on a RH campsite.

I call BS. It didn't make any sense to me. If indeed both groups could show a permit that said they had Mee Corner, why would one group abandon Mee Corner to go to Mee Canyon? They clearly both have equal rights if both permits say Mee Corner is theirs. Mee Corner is plenty big. Mee Canyon is smaller. I think the guy was full of it and either didn't have a permit or had a worse site further downstream, so figured he would give it a try.

If it was me, there is a 95% chance I would have been drinking beer playing my banjo, so that group would have probably kept rowing. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Groups have been getting more brazen with campsite transgressions as RHT becomes popular among non-traditional boating crowds. In 2020, we arrived at Black Rocks 8 at 3:00pm. The group from the previous night was still there and partying hard, and they were indignant that I told them to get the hell out (this was at the height of COVID, mind you, and I wanted nothing to do with other groups). This year, we were breaking down camp at Black Rocks 7 at 9:30am when the group with reservations for that night showed up and proceeded to watch us impatiently. I rather politely told them what they were doing was bad form, and they agreed to hike for an hour while we finished loading up. The nerve.

Anyway, as mentioned above, Cottonwood 5 is massive. I'd guess that it's among the largest reservable sites on the RHT section of the Colorado. You'll have no issue finding a perfect place for that groovy-looking bug shelter--unless the partiers from the previous night are still there and won't leave.

·
Registered
191 Posts
A few years back with rec.gov we(wife and dog) absolutely got double booked. Rangers called us, we ended up getting a free permit.

1st night we got double booked for cottonwood 4 with a nice couple of families group. We rolled in around 6. TL greeted us super awesome, offered us space. Nobody was at cottonwood 5, so we figured we would hangout, drink until dark, then move to 5 if no one showed up. Worked great.

2nd night was a split rock double book. Rangers rolled up, apologized ahead of time, gave us a option of a "new site" they were making across on right from split rock. I understood the apologies. We heard the other group before we saw them. 6 boats, 25 dudes from a back east fraternity reunion. The first 18 footer had a deck, giant speakers, and a DJ. The 2nd 18ft had a dance platform with dudes dancing in Teletubbies costumes! Pretty much the definition of a worst case scenario. While scoping the "new" site that had been recently chopped out, one of the guys came over, apologized for his group ahead of time, then invited us over for the beer pong championship happening later.

Needles to say, we floated on figuring we'd sleep on the boat or on a sand bar. Rolled up on the Black rock camps and half we empty. We ended up hanging out until after dark at BR 5 and no one showed up.

Sometimes rec.gov shits the bed. Sometime it works out. Either way, your tent will fit in cottonwood 5.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
We have the exact same tent and LOVE it for hiding from bugs or rain. I love that it sets up and breaks down in under a minute and that it isn't too massive packed up.
What tent is that?
Bugs and rain sounds like a good one solution fits all. Assume it has a full fly?
Would be tempting to also throw a stove jack in the roof and also have a hot tent if the fly covers to the ground.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is the one: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Instant-Screenhouse/dp/B07X96Q9D6

The one big drawback is that it does NOT have a fly. It seems kind of ridiculous they don't sell one to go along with it.

We were looking for a bug shelter solution for a Deso Trip years ago. There are all kinds of more fortified hunting shelter type things, but they weigh like 4X as much as this one. I was excited to find that our ideal solution was also the cheapest option. It's definitely not 100% waterproof, but it certainly helps in a pinch to get out of a rainstorm. You could easily throw a tarp over it for additional rain or sun protection. We had a massive downpour on the Chama last month and it only started slightly dripping from the ceiling after ~20 minutes of heavy heavy rain. We primarily bought it to hide from bugs, but it works for shade and rain too. It's all one piece, so literally can be put up and taken down in under 2 minutes. Packed up, it's about 5 feet long and 8 inches tall/wide. It weighs just under 20 lbs. and fits well on our 14' raft side to side in front of our cooler and under our paco pad.

Here it is from an upper C trip years ago where we extended the rain shelter aspect with a tarp:

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
So similar covered ceiling area as a 10x10 pop-up? That's a smaller/lighter package than them. I like the idea for a rain/shade/bug shelter for the kitchen.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So similar covered ceiling area as a 10x10 pop-up? That's a smaller/lighter package than them. I like the idea for a rain/shade/bug shelter for the kitchen.
I think so. The walls of the 13X15 definitely angle out more, which gives good space for people to sit in camp chairs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the one: Amazon.com : Coleman Screened Canopy Tent | 15 x 13 Screened Sun Shelter with Instant Setup : Screen Houses : Sports & Outdoors

The one big drawback is that it does NOT have a fly. It seems kind of ridiculous they don't sell one to go along with it.

We were looking for a bug shelter solution for a Deso Trip years ago. There are all kinds of more fortified hunting shelter type things, but they weigh like 4X as much as this one. I was excited to find that our ideal solution was also the cheapest option. It's definitely not 100% waterproof, but it certainly helps in a pinch to get out of a rainstorm. You could easily throw a tarp over it for additional rain or sun protection. We had a massive downpour on the Chama last month and it only started slightly dripping from the ceiling after ~20 minutes of heavy heavy rain. We primarily bought it to hide from bugs, but it works for shade and rain too. It's all one piece, so literally can be put up and taken down in under 2 minutes. Packed up, it's about 5 feet long and 8 inches tall/wide. It weighs just under 20 lbs. and fits well on our 14' raft side to side in front of our cooler and under our paco pad.

Here it is from an upper C trip years ago where we extended the rain shelter aspect with a tarp:
View attachment 68462
Agreed. A fly would be nice with a vestibule. That's a sweet setup you've got.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts