Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm now totally sold on sleeping on my roll-a-cot but what to do when weather or bugs are possible?
Goggle only seems to lead me to Kamp-time stuff.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
There are a lot of tents that fit roll-a-cots. I've had no problems fitting two(until what I said a few minutes ago on a pending thread?)

What is it that you really want to know concerning a roll-a-cot?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, I could stuff my cot into my existing tent but, whats the point?
I lose all head room, cant sit up ect. May as well just be on the ground.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Go to REI, they have many, many tents. Just pick one you think is big enough to sit up in and will make you a happy camper.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like sleeping out in the open, but like you I wanted something in case weather moves in. I bought this pop up one man cot tent from Amazon along with the longer rain cover:
https://tetonsports.com/product/outfitter-xxl-1-man-quick-tent/

I use a Roll a cot, Paco pad, then the tent if necessary. The tent is a bit longer than the cot (It's made for another brand cot), so I also have a couple of foot long dowels I slide into the cot corners that the tent poles attach to in order to increase space.

Most of the time I like sleeping on the front bay of my boat, and this tent fits great there if I need to get out of the rain. Since it's a pop up, I can have it ready in less than a minute. Not a lot of space, but like I said I only need it in case of weather.

It's not my nicest tent by a long shot, but it was relatively cheap and the best solution I found for a cot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have been looking at the Big Agnus Bird Beak tents. Designed to hold a cot and I like the fact that it has an external pole mounting system and the inner is easily removable. Side walls of the fly come down close to the ground which is a help in blowing sand conditions. You can pitch it one step like the Hilleberg tents. I am waiting until I can find a good price/sale on one so don't have any direct information.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have been looking at the Big Agnus Bird Beak tents. Designed to hold a cot and I like the fact that it has an external pole mounting system and the inner is easily removable. Side walls of the fly come down close to the ground which is a help in blowing sand conditions. You can pitch it one step like the Hilleberg tents. I am waiting until I can find a good price/sale on one so don't have any direct information.
https://www.expertvoice.com/brand/bigagnes
Try getting an account...many ways to gain access. They have firearms now! My big box from federal came this week, 40% discount on ammo is HUGE and shipped for free.

·
Registered
162 Posts
We used this REI Grand Hut 4 tent for camping with 2 roll a cots. It provides a nice place between the cots to stand up and get dressed. https://youtu.be/8UEizPqx6Xc?t=587

The tent holds up in decent winds....I've yet to try it in gale force upriver winds. Lots of spots for guying it out though.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
How many cots? How much are you willing to pay?

REI is a good recommendation.

I've slept with two cots in my Base Camp 4 many times. If that is not big enough then there is the Base Camp 6. These tents have a geodesic pole design that makes them very stable. Check out their reviews.

The vertical walls of the King Dome and Grand Hut seem well suited to your needs.

Once you have a tent you should think to protect your tent floor from the cot legs. I use carpet squares but on sand sometimes the legs do not by morning stay on the squares.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I have been a fan of roll a cots for so long I forgot when I got my roll a cot. Put your choice of ThermArest or JPW Paco pad on top and you have luxury sleeping.

I have been using this Alps Mountaineering tent probably since the late 90's and so far it has been pretty much bomb proof in CO hi country to NC Bryson City rain storms. I got the outfitter version since it has a better floor. I have also used this tent on Buffalo River AR gravel bars. No telling how long it will last. works with two roll a cots tight clearance between them. Might want to size up for plenty of room. Fast to set up.

https://www.alpsbrands.com/alpsmountaineering/products/tents/meramac-4-outfitter

Last year I also purchased the camp time tent. This tent is designed to fit two roll a cots. I used it last year at Cascade Camp Ground outside Buena Vista CO (probably 9,000 ft altitude) for multi days camping and several class 5 Rocky Mt lightning rain tree bending wind storms and it was bomber. It does have a lot of stake points which takes time to install, but in my case the tent did not move and one night we had several tents blown down. This tent does weight heavy and is for car or big raft camping. Very impressed with this tent.

·
Registered
183 Posts
How many cots? How much are you willing to pay?

REI is a good recommendation.

I've slept with two cots in my Base Camp 4 many times. If that is not big enough then there is the Base Camp 6. These tents have a geodesic pole design that makes them very stable. Check out their reviews.

The vertical walls of the King Dome and Grand Hut seem well suited to your needs.

Once you have a tent you should think to protect your tent floor from the cot legs. I use carpet squares but on sand sometimes the legs do not by morning stay on the squares.
I use tennis balls for the cot legs. Just cut a big slit on one side of the tennis ball and wedge it on the legs. They stay on even when folded up.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I've been using my Roll a Cot in my Marmot Limelite 3p for the last 3 summers with great success. Its almost likes its designed to fit the cot inside. It has straight sides for the first 18" or so and then domes out. I just use it for myself...but you could fit two cots in there if you want. When I sit on the Cot in the tent, my head just barely misses. I'm 6'1" but am mostly torso so it should fit most normal size humans. To keep the floor nice and so it doesn't push down into the floor I cut 4 squares of wood out and used a Forstner bit about the same size as the legs to drill a hole halfway through the wood so the cot doesn't slide off. Works pretty well and I can just toss the wood pieces in the bottom of my bag or in the mesh storage bag with the cot.

It comes with a footprint that can also be used as a floor to use just the rainfly and poles for a more basic setup...

Marmot is a little bit more reasonably priced then Big Agnes too and I've slept well over 100 nights in it so far and its starting to show...but still works great.

I've recently been considering either a bivy sack or the cot tents designed to set up on top of the cot like the one Hey Ben linked to. There are a few out there and it would be nice to be able to just pop it up if it looks like rain without having to do a full size tent. I'm not a particularly claustrophobic...but I'm a bit wary about the bivy sacks and being wrapped up in one...even the ones with the pole to give you head room. I have a few buddies that are very enthusiastic about their military surplus Gore-tex bivy sacks...so I might have to give one a try.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Tennis balls work great on the roll a cot legs to protect your tent floor.
I'm sure...the pieces of wood I use do a great job and spread it out more. The half depth drill holes do a great job keeping the cot on the wood too. Not sure where I found it...but the wood is 1/2" thick or so.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Nice!

I like sleeping out in the open, but like you I wanted something in case weather moves in. I bought this pop up one man cot tent from Amazon along with the longer rain cover:
https://tetonsports.com/product/outfitter-xxl-1-man-quick-tent/

I use a Roll a cot, Paco pad, then the tent if necessary. The tent is a bit longer than the cot (It's made for another brand cot), so I also have a couple of foot long dowels I slide into the cot corners that the tent poles attach to in order to increase space.

Most of the time I like sleeping on the front bay of my boat, and this tent fits great there if I need to get out of the rain. Since it's a pop up, I can have it ready in less than a minute. Not a lot of space, but like I said I only need it in case of weather.

It's not my nicest tent by a long shot, but it was relatively cheap and the best solution I found for a cot.
Thanks for posting the information on this tent, for me it is the ideal setup for my purpose. I'm going to order the whole nine yards, cot, tent and fly. You have to love the quick pop up tents( set's up in a couple minutes), plus the sleeping pad combined with the oversized cot, looks comfortable
To me too. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used my Rol-a-cot with a tent for a couple years and it is THE WAY TO GO. I have been in heavy bugs and heave rain and I have never had a problem.

The tent I use and it is awesome is the thermarest cot tent. It is made to be on one of their cots. I would not use their cot but on a rol-a-cot it is bad ass.
https://www.thermarest.com/cots/cot-shelters/cot-tent/cot-tent.html

It is the answer you are looking for. I have tested it and love it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts