Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 foot oars are probably a little much for a personal tarp, what are you folks using to pitch in the desert?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
649 Posts
Steve, you could cut a couple pieces of pvc and strap them to your frame on the edges and you would not even know they were there. Or you could buy electrical conduit pvc that has built in collars and cut it down and have a packable set of poles that would fit together and fit in a drybox.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I don't use poles. Like to sleep under the stars.
I put a couple mini caribiners on the cot legs on one side.
They line up with holes on tarp.
I sleep with rolled up tarp connected on one side at ground level.
IF it rains I pull tarp over the top of me and place a couple rocks on other side.
Very quick set up and do not have to get out of sleeping bag to deploy.
My daughter calls it a tarp taco.
If you do poles you will have to deal with wind and set up.
And no sleeping out.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Thread deviated in the second post. Lets keep it on track. That was just a little joke Rich

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ask Finnicum. He is the tarp expert. Oops, too late.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I must admit I have spent too much time considering this opportunity. I prefer to sleep on a cot out from any cover, rain of course is an issue but I find frost and dew cause me the most headaches.
I've always been unhappy with the tarp taco method, mostly because the condensation gets you as wet as whatever you're trying to hide from.
I've played with small diameter poles bent for hoops, using the legs as anchors. Have to tie out/stake down, starts getting complicated fast.
I've moved onto thinking about a blanket made of softshell fabric with a boxed foot and elastic hooks, for holding tension, to the cot. It should breath well enough and provide adequate water protection. I haven't decided how to handle the "hood" or top of the blanket for when its really raining. Thinking of something simple but have also played with the idea of a small hoop.

·
Shapp
1,825 Posts
3 oars as a tripod make a good tarp teepee.

also you can use longer oars, but make the tie out shorter by using a clove hitch over the oar and sliding it down to the oar stop instead of the top of the oar near the handle.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Thread deviated in the second post. Lets keep it on track. That was just a little joke Rich
I laughed, but just a little.
I believe your buddy, WallGreen, was working on a tarp/cot solution.
He does have some well thought out ideas.
I'm really surprised the roll-a-cot company has not come out with something.

I've watched people spend hours on oar/tarp construction.
I find it really cuts into my hiking and drinking time so I just go with a tarp taco.

Willie, what is this "condensation, dew & frost" you speak of?
....Never mind, I see you live in Oregun;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts