Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any beta on what rivers to hit for Class III whitewater outside Tamarindo. Heading down to surf and thought I'd bring my gear and rent a boat / paddle during some down time from the surf. Have a guide book coming, but would appreciate any suggestions on who to rent from and where to link up with other paddlers.

Thanks so much,

Brandon

·
Registered
786 Posts
Tamarindo is about as far from whitewater as it gets in Costa Rica - the Nicoya peninsula is flatter and drier than other parts of the country. That said its not hard to get around and the entire country is only 1/3 the size of kentucky so you are never that far from anywhere else. South of Tamarindo on the pacific has lots of options - San Isidro is a good staging point. The famous III/IV runs you've heard about are on the caribbean slope - a little further - but not too far, around the town of Turrialba. For Class III boating i think the carribbean offers better options, but it will definitely be a little harder to get to from Tamarindo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Down there last New Year's...

There's some decent class II - III stuff west of Liberia with a few IV's. Here's a few videos from the Colorado (go figure) and the Tenorio. Both very pretty.

Costa Rica Colorado River upper section on Vimeo
Costa Rica Colorado River Gorge on Vimeo
Tenario River on Vimeo

I think these folks helped us with access on the Colorado - The Canyon Lodge - Adventure Lodge

And these guys helped us with the Tenorio - Whitewater Rafting Adventure Tours, Rainforest Lodge on the Pacuare River - Rios Tropicales Costa Rica

Always fun paddling in December in a pair of shorts with monkeys jumping overhead. Good luck.

Brian

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not sure if you have a car, but if u want to paddle the CR classics, it may be worth spending a night at the Hotel Interamericano in Turrialba. U can rent boats at Costa Rica Rios Aventuras I think.
The Pejebeye warm up one day and then the lower Pacuare or Upper Upper would make a great 2 days of paddling....Plus Turriabla is a super fun town. All Class III / IV - and easy portages on the bigger rapids.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
CR

When you are in Tamarindo stop by the Mexican restaurant at the center of town a block off the main drag. The owner is from Vail and has 3-4 whitewater kayaks you can rent and rip up the local surf. Last time I was there he had a Flipstick, RPM, and Forplay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts