Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a suggestion on where to kayak this fall or early winter for a week or two? I am thinking of heading south, Costa Rica or Ecuador, I really want to get back on my game with some good flows.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Yeah, they both have lots of good paddling options. Costa Rica is closer and plane tickets ought to be quite a bit cheaper. Ecuador is a little more exotic (everybody and their mother has been to Costa Rica) and a bit cheaper once you get there. Panama has good boating as well with lots of whitewater concentrated over a small area, but I heard recently that dams have destroyed of a lot of the runs out there - not sure how true it is - anyone?

The Costa Rica rainy season extends until late Nov, early Dec. The tail end of the season tends to be a good time go but depends a little bit on what kind of whitewater you're hoping to do. I think Ecuador tends to be more consistent all the way through fall/winter. In Panama you want to be there during the rainy season, so a little bit earlier: Sept to mid Nov I think.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
As posted above, Ecuador and Costa Rica are great places to kayak.

If you go to Borha or Tena there will be runs out the wazoo close by for you to enjoy in Ecuador.

CR around Turrillba is much the same.

You cannot go wrong on either. CR might be easier for the reasons stated above.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ecuador!

Well, of course, I am biased, but come to Ecuador!

Ecuador is great in late fall and early winter. It has a TON of variety of rivers in a small area. There are countless Class III to V rivers within a 100 km radius, so whatever your style, you'll be happy with Ecuador.

As KSC stated, it is definitely more "exotic" than Costa Rica if you like that sort of thing. The people are super friendly, the climate is perfect (not too hot, not to cold) and the rivers are world class.

So...you really can't go wrong.

If you want a guided trip, you should, of course, check us out--www.smallworldadventures.com

But if you plan to go on your own and you just want more beta, I'm happy to help.

Just shoot me an email at [email protected]

Darcy

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well, of course, I am biased, but come to Ecuador!

Ecuador is great in late fall and early winter. It has a TON of variety of rivers in a small area. There are countless Class III to V rivers within a 100 km radius, so whatever your style, you'll be happy with Ecuador.

As KSC stated, it is definitely more "exotic" than Costa Rica if you like that sort of thing. The people are super friendly, the climate is perfect (not too hot, not to cold) and the rivers are world class.

So...you really can't go wrong.

If you want a guided trip, you should, of course, check us out--www.smallworldadventures.com

But if you plan to go on your own and you just want more beta, I'm happy to help.

Just shoot me an email at [email protected]

Darcy
What she said!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was at EC last winter

great whitewater, affordable, you can be in EC and paddle everyday, party hard every night, yet spend less than a thousand a month.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Small World

There's no way to get more boating in than going with SWA in Ecuador. It's also the only way to be on the best run for the current flow/ your ability level. I love boating with them; they're tons of fun even though following them is a reminder that you have no skills. I'm guessing that this is what playing basketball with Michael Jordan would be like.

Stacey

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
feedback on what Darcy posted about Ecuador

I think SWA built the first specialized kayakers lodge there on the Rio.

I remember staying in their place on maybe the first season it opened. We were amazed at what was accomplished with hand labor and it just gets better and better as time goes by.

It is an awesome place to stay with everything and more a boater wants.

Hot showers, cold beer, awesome food, built in gear drying racks, comfortable rooms, friendly people and did I mention right on the Rio with a put in or take out a few yards from the lodge.

It is a bit longer flight than CR,but well worth it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Never been to CR but I would 2nd the Ecuador bit. If you are a III-IV+ boater then SWA is the way to go. They'll take you on runs you can handle at a good level, and gather your gear after any yard sales. If you are a V+ boater looking to run the gnar/waterfalls, then you will probably be happier finding some locals to boat with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Worth it

Thanks everyone for the information. It looks like Ecuador is the place to be so I will check out Small World Adventures. I have never done a guided trip but if they can get me on good rivers everyday it may be worth it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You won't Regret Small World. If you look back over Mountainbuzz I don't think you'll find a single bad review. I've been heading down to Ecuador for the last six years every fall. Every summer I always catch myself thinking maybe i should try something new this year and then I can't think of a single reason why I would do that. The guides are the best, the Lodge is fantastic, and you'll end up having some of the best paddling days you've ever had with them. Tell Don, Darcy, Larry, or Tarquino what you want to paddle and they will blow your mind the next day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Repeating what's already been written about SWA and Ecuador. I was the winner of their free trip this past winter and had a blast with Darcy as one of my guides. Great water and food, two beers to choose from, and a relaxed atmosphere. Gotta love the lodge and Tena. First class all the way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts