Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on how I could do an affordable week of boating in Costa Rica. Not the $1400 package deal, but something a bit less plush and less expensive? ie. a place to rent boats, maybe a guide for the day and we do our own food and housing?

thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Both Turrialba Adventures (run by Diego Rodriguez who speaks english well) and Rainforest World (run by American Phil Coleman) are also good places to go. They offered day trips down the Pacuare (III+) for 30 US dollars per day. This included boat, shuttle, and food. If you're going with a group, it might be cheaper to bring your own boats. When you arrive (from the bus station) in Turrialba, walk down the main street toward the other end of town and you'll find Rainforest World, Tico Rios, and Turrialba Adventures. Costa Rica Rios is on the north end of town. If you like big water, definitely try out the Reventazon Pascua Section. Runs other than the Pacuare require giving notice to the outfitters and mas dinero. Good luck. PM me if you need more details.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Also, I would recommend bringing you're own gear such as paddle jacket, helmet, PFD, etc. You're personal gear will be far better than their personal gear. The boats are pretty good for the most part. Stay away from Rios Tropicales because they lie about the ratings of the rivers, give you inferior gear, and charge high prices.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think that is great advice. I am a new guide at Rainforest World and have been living in Turrialba for 2 months. Turrialba has accomodations ranging from $10 or so a night to $50. Do not know how many of us will be able to offer trips for as low as $30 but we will certainly try and there is lots of competition so the price stays low. Definately bring your own pfd, skirt, helmet, and paddling clothes. I´d say if you have at least two people then bundle your paddles and pay for the oversize, but if you do not want to mess with it, we have 4 new werners this season. You can e-mail me if you have any more questions [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
costa rica in latter november

myself and a buddy will be going with rainforest world for a week. if u have more than 2 people it becomes more affordable, if your group is flexable we could do the same week trip. let me know if you, or anyone you know is interested.
thanks, jeff

Does anyone have any info on how I could do an affordable week of boating in Costa Rica. Not the $1400 package deal, but something a bit less plush and less expensive? ie. a place to rent boats, maybe a guide for the day and we do our own food and housing?

thanks!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rvrrat, this post is over a year old. I couldn't figure out a Costa Rica trip last year, so this year I'm going to Panama with boqueteoutdooradventures. We went with them a few years ago and had a great time. Don't know how that old post came up, but anyhow, have a good time in C.R.

Jennifer

·
Registered
134 Posts
My wife and I will be down in costa rica and looking to do some boating on the 22-25 of December. We are solid class III/IV boaters. Will look into some of the advice that has been given. For kayaking do you have to have a guide or is it possible to hook up with knowledgable locals and boat the rivers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts