Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife is looking at a job there, deadline is coming up fast. Decent place to live as a paddler? Thoughts on the area in general?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Great paddling ranging from a half hour away to three hours to Hood River to eight hours to Cali. The intense season runs from late October to June, and there is always something to paddle. Finding a crew isn't the easiest, but you'll settle in.

Corvallis itself is a nice little college town. It doesn't take long to get outside of town, of course, which is the beauty of it. The first winter's rain will take getting used to, but it is much easier to shovel rain than snow.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just moved from there. There are many places to go nearby and they have a very active paddle community. Willamette Kayak and Canoe Club Lots of winter paddling, with numerous rivers. It is a bit expensive to live but you can find towns nearby ie Albany that are still reasonably priced. The club published Soggy Sneakers guidebook and they update it frequently. You are also close enough to Portland to tie in with Paddlers there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's quite a variety of runs within the mid-valley. A handful of coastal runs that are rain driven and plenty of Cascade runs that are rain driven early in the year and snow melt later in the year. Lots of boaters around to run with as well. I'm a cat boater but find myself on many kayaker runs in the winter. Lots of water right now, I'll be either on the Siletz or Quartzville Creek hopefully by the end of the week. Corvallis is a nice town, we often go there for a drink or any of many festivals in the summer months. I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially if momma gets a good job too!!!!

Oh ya, Soggy Sneakers is a must too!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shappattack said:
Also the job market in Corvallis is pretty tight there, even tighter than the general "tight" market out there.
That's what I've seen in my research- I'm an RN and things look really tight there. Have lots of other skills though, so if she gets her job, hopefully I can find something to keep me busy while I wait for a spot at GSRMC.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I live in Corvegas- there's a class IV-V crew of students in town, hit me up when you get here, we can show you the local stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts