Mountain Buzz banner

181 - 200 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Reread the numbers.

Covid deaths are covid-only. The covid number is smaller than the covid+pneumonia, so the covid+pneumonia cannot be included in covid, or you'd have a negative number.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The COVID death number is smaller than the COVID, pnemonia, and influenza, but larger than the covid + pnemonia count.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Go up a couple pages on the CDC site and dive down into the NCHS Leading Causes of Death page. The data is all there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The date range is 2/1/20 to 5/9/20 correct? At least the table that you posted has a start date of 2/1/20.

835k - 54k = 781k. The math I think you'll find is much more complicated than that. Here is a link to the CDC page on excess deaths. In simple terms this is the difference between the number of deaths that are to be expected and the number that are actually occurring. They use some pretty complicated math to calculate expected deaths.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

In 1900 the world average life span was 31 and currently in Sudan it's 57. We don't live in a natural world. If you're suggesting we should go back to the natural life history for homo-sapiens I believe you'll find some rather unpleasant consequences associated with that.

Respectfully, even though you haven't frankly stated so, you seem to be trying to minimize the dangers and impacts of COVID-19. I can tell you that this is not so. It is a problem and if you let it get out of hand it can overwhelm the hospital and mortuary systems. It's doesn't matter what the fatality rate is. This happened in Italy, NY and in Iran.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not sure what you mean. Other sources on the same site quote COVID deaths in the 80,000s. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
Yes, the table is confusing. I have many questions when I look at the table. The data comes from death certificates. I have to fill out death certificate for work sometimes, so I can tell you from my experience. They usually ask you to list up to 3 causes of death. So, 1) cardiopulmonary arrest secondary to ARDS secondary to pneumonia secondary to COVID-19. As you can see the cause of death is complicated. I am assuming that's what the table represents. This person had COVID-19 on their death certificate and that one had pneumonia secondary to COVID-19 on theirs. However, they do not explain this making this table very hard to interpret.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I was not able to go back to the page as you suggested.It seems like you are dismissing apx.140,000 deaths that are Covid combined with flu and/or pnuemonia[sp] as not Covid .Did they specifically state that those deaths were attributable to the other ailments not Covid ? . How do they determine the extent to which Covid may have exacerbated the other conditions and vice versa?

There was a similar controversy about the death toll in the Iraq war.The military released a ridiculously low figure 30/40 k.Then an IRB came out with a figure of 150k the Bush admin essentially called them liars.When the Red Cross said 300k they disputed it citing the IRB figure they had previously disputed.Then the well respected medical publication ,the Lancet, said a million,which may be right but was never accepted and is highly disputed.The Lancet's assessment was based on the differential in the death rate from before the war .They attributed the difference to war related causes [ like the hospitals were blown up] not just combatants we killed.So,maybe MT4's method of calculating the death toll based on the difference from before the pandemic has some merit,but it still does not resolve whether people with multiple conditions should or shouldn't be considered Covid deaths.

·
SarahofTheWaves
373 Posts
Lotsa data. Since our testing is poor in the US, usually impacts of pandemics are measured by excess deaths over average deaths. Typical deaths per day in US (2017) is 7,708. Rounded up to 8,000. 79 days per the above mentioned CDC chart. 79x8,000=632,000. That is 200,000 extra deaths over that time period.

Not an epidemiologist, but looks like more than normal.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/wr/mm6826a5.htm Where the 8,000 deaths per day came from.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
140k plus 54 k is pretty close to 200k...not saying all 140 k are due to Covid 19

just now they released updated totals with a nuance,,,the good news only 23 new deaths [good and only in that it is lower],,,they now refer to deaths from Covid and those caused by ''related underlying conditions'',,this may be the media not state health officials,The media are probably responsible for a lot of the confusion,but i would make allowances for their learning curve like everybody elses,,,leaning harder towards C

·
Registered
327 Posts
There was a Science Fiction novel written a while ago titled ' On the Beach '
A major nuclear war had happened, and the world was doomed. But because of wind patterns some areas would be affected before others.
The story is about a submarine crew that could survive the longest of anyone. In the end, they elected to return to land and do what they had done in the past for a short time rather than live on the submarine for a longer time.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It is not the corona virus now. Call it what it is. It is the republican/libertarian outbreak of a formerly under-control pandemic.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Until the initial coronavirus infection runs it's "natural" course of infection and / or we get a good vaccine shot, the world will have to deal with how they protect themselves from coronavirus infection.

Seems to me a good mask worn around infected people, hand washing and so called social distancing is reasonable individual protection and about all the general public can do.

The medical and technology assets we have in the USA are working over time on solutions. They have found solutions to most virus strains. The current coronavirus has never been "under control" probably never will be controlled just people adapt to ways to not get infected while living their lives.

Basically coronavirus protection is the same thing Doctors have told us to do for the Flu Virus each fall.

Trump did about what any President could do in fighting this virus. Much better than some I can think of.

To call this virus any thing other than coronavirus or the place it came from (China) is just name calling in my opinion.

I have been staying home all summer. Here in Oklahoma our governor has posted reasonable rules.

But unnecessary travel is not recommended.

To heck with it, I am headed to the Main Salmon next week. Hopefully, the only medical issues to deal with will be the occasional biting insect.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Until the initial coronavirus infection runs it's "natural" course of infection and / or we get a good vaccine shot, the world will have to deal with how they protect themselves from coronavirus infection.

The medical and technology assets we have in the USA are working over time on solutions. They have found solutions to most virus strains. The current coronavirus has never been "under control" probably never will be controlled just people adapt to ways to not get infected while living their lives.
Yet the common cold is caused by a virus and we have no vaccine. It may never be "under control" and may simply have to run its course until our population gets "herd immunity".

I truly don't know what to think of it.
I'm frustrated. We no longer shake hands with our neighbors or hug our friends. We're afraid of others in our community. We're losing our humanity.
I wear a mask in stores not for my own fear but out of respect for the store owner and employees who don't really have another choice.
I'm frustrated when teachers don't want to go back to school when they've been in Costco and Walmart all summer.
I'm frustrated by the large population states and their draconian lockdowns...and all of their residents driving to Montana and Idaho for the summer. Don't get me wrong, people should be able to travel freely, but there are some real assholes with some real poor backcountry ethics playing in our forests and on our rivers.

Seems to me a good mask worn around infected people, hand washing and so called social distancing is reasonable individual protection and about all the general public can do.

Basically coronavirus protection is the same thing Doctors have told us to do for the Flu Virus each fall.
Wash your hands regularly (before and after you eat, after you hit the groover) is a good idea regardless of the pandemic. Follow the same guidelines you'd follow to avoid norovirus...and if you feel sick, don't go out!

To heck with it, I am headed to the Main Salmon next week. Hopefully, the only medical issues to deal with will be the occasional biting insect.
Have an amazing time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I work in a school and I can say with all honestly we are sick all the time during a normal year. You may even get ring worm or lice lol. So I can say that theres a real underlying fear around here right now. It sucks and no one likes it not the liberals or the conservatives. I think were trying pretty hard and its added 3 hrs to my day but we just gotta try. My kids going to miss her first 2 years of school but shed miss her mom order more I think. Sucks wish we'd all work together so we could feel better. Montana wasted its lock down when tourist came back so hardcore. Hopefully were all talking about a new subject soon

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The current death count(increasing) and economic fiasco(failing) is the result of republican and libertarian disregard of pandemic/viral processes(SIMPLE SCIENCE!).

You R's and L's(aka Trumpers) screwed our future by NOT being smart, in fact, being totally stupid with regard to how at each human interactive moment you might decrease the PANDEMICS social and economic consequences!

Please LOVE your fellow human. Wear your mask, maintain your distances, respect the science and let's get beyond this hell-hole that you "fact" deniers
contribute to daily.

181 - 200 of 228 Posts