Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Prospector from Canyon looks pretty sweet. I'd love to have a cooler that is solid with no chance of rocking when stood on.

Is this the only cooler that is designed accordingly?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Banned
258 Posts
The new Prospector from Canyon looks pretty sweet. I'd love to have a cooler that is solid with no chance of rocking when stood on.

Is this the only cooler that is designed accordingly?

I haven't ever had a cooler that rocks in a boat or you couldn't stand on but I have always done it the right way and built the frame accordingly,figured that out years ago. I do have some prospectors on the way, they look pretty cool and have some features I like.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post some pics when the show up.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Post some pics when the show up.

Sure thing.
I definitely think it may be the answer to those who rest coolers on the upper bars. There are a couple others out there we use as well. Last count there are 32 Heavy Duty cooler manufacturers now.

image.jpg

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hang mine from straps, when the upper straps are unbuckled the cooler is very wobbly. Of course in rapids I insist on keeping it strapped firmly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love the look of the Prospector, but I don't think it will work under my captains seat. I guess I could potentially ditch the captains seat.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I hang mine from straps, when the upper straps are unbuckled the cooler is very wobbly. Of course in rapids I insist on keeping it strapped firmly.

Not to try and talk you out of a bad ass new cooler, but there are several ways to keep coolers from rocking. Most notably is to set the bars for a very snug fit. Secondly the use of NRS's brackets or simply a piece of plywood under the cooler also can eliminate wobble.

My favorite way is to use a low foot bar to hold it. I'll see if I have a pic on here somewhere - but essentially I wedge the cooler between the foot bar and the back upper bar with a couple straps holding it at the desired height.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The first pic should give you an idea on what I'm talking about. As it sits in the picture, with nothing in the drop bag under the front bench, the cooler can rock forward (i.e. step near the latches and the bottom can rock slightly forward). If the drop bag is full of firm stuff the cooler won't rock at all in any direction.

Occasionally, I run two coolers and in this arrangement neither cooler can rock. They support each other. I have a piece of 1/2" plywood that I can put ontop of the straps and set the cooler on if I'm running pretty much empty. That also stops the whole shebang from rocking as well. I think it's just the roughness of the ply wood on the straps that keeps it from sliding.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps I should play around with it more current it's my second Bay, first bay just has a table. I bet the plywood would make a big difference.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
elkhaven, I love your setup, do you sit on the dry box I assume? How big is your bimini? And how do you attach the captain seat?
Thanks. You have a very nice rig as well. Half the fun is figuring all this stuff out for me.

You can kind of see the set up in the bottom picture. The seat is bolted to a piece of plywood, which inturn has 1" thick rails running in the long dimension under it, these rails make it thick enough for a the straps to hold the seat tightly against the box lid (and giving the cup holders more depth to better hold my beer :)) The seat assembly is then simply strapped to footman loops on the drybox lid. That way I can just open the latches and tip the whole lid/seat back and dig around. I strap the whole thing in on bigger water by running two straps over ends of the dry box, but I do that rarely as I'm usually in mild water.

Right now it takes too many straps, I have plans to use pins to hold things together on my next iteration. And to have the seat frame be able to be used without the drybox. There's always something to do.

Edit - Bimini - it's 6'x8' 54" tall. It barely covers both the oarsman and someone sitting in the fishing seat.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Perhaps I should play around with it more current it's my second Bay, first bay just has a table. I bet the plywood would make a big difference.

Each to his own Paul. I'd like one of those coolers too - if only they made a 40" wide version. The little Yeti in the pics is about the same size as the prospector and it leaves a bit of wasted space in the bay. Not enough for a drybox or anything useful, just a place for things to fall and end up in the live well.

·
The Russian
1,391 Posts
elkhaven, I did that with my older boat. Bolted a seat to plywood and then strapped it to the frame/drybox with straps. On my new setup I reversed the flip bracket for the seat and have a single strap holding the seat down, my dry box is bolted into the frame.

I too have an 8' bimini, thinking of upgrading to 10'

·
Registered
385 Posts
Got a couple prospectors on the way as well. Should be here soon. Think they have the right setup. Have a couple of unused Orion's sitting around. They beat everything else in ice retention but they're overpriced and the latches aren't frame friendly. Expected a little more in the way boat compatibility from Jackson. The canyons setup looks like they could sweep the boating market with strap slots and frame supports to eliminate all the junk needed for other coolers.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
I love the look of the Prospector, but I don't think it will work under my captains seat. I guess I could potentially ditch the captains seat.
You could always just go full redneck on the problem. Take an NRS seat, or just a tractor seat, and bolt it to a piece of plywood. Slot the plywood in 4 spots, and strap to your cross bars. It's like the original captains seat, can even poly the plywood, and have it look good if you want.

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Sorry, didn't see kazaks post when I typed that. Guess I just get excited with the creative engineering stuff.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Just the frame and decks, some where around $1100- 1200 maybe a little more over nearly a dozen years. It's hard to say because it was pieced together an idea at a time. But I also have enough stuff to make another simple 4 Bay.

I did price out building it from scratch 2 years ago. I can't remember the total, but it was just over a grand. That was stuff at cost from NRS, and replacing some low pros with speed rails. It did include the double rail fittings

Sent from my XT1585 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Banned
258 Posts
Don't take it as me going soft, But It does look pretty clean and fit well, I can appreciate it,you did your own thing there.You must have had the panels CNC routed they look nice and clean.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts