Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
anyone have experience with the orcas. They are made in the usa. I saw some blems for cheap on ebay.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I heard ORCA is going under. My neighbor has a friend who works for them and thats what he told me.. I tried sending them a couple emails asking about dementions and got nothing back.. And I had heard prior that they had good costomer service... I have looked at the mamoths and they seem solid.. Also the Brute coolers look good. They are made in the usa and they have big handles that could sit on side bars.. I am not 100 percent sure but i think they are what Canyon inflatables is trying to market.. They are pictured on their frames and when I emailed them for dementions they sent me dementions the exact same as Brute coolers.. I wish they mammoths had more info on their website.. they dont tell you much about the diffrence in the two models.. i think the discovery and the titan..

anyone have experience with the orcas. They are made in the usa. I saw some blems for cheap on ebay.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
688 Posts
Mu buddy just bought one of the ORCA blems. I am thinking of going the same rout. Are they strong enough to use as a rowing seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
572 Posts
So, do the Orca cooler drain as well as the Yetis? That's one of our beefs with our Igloo Marine cooler. It leaves about an inch of water in the bottom.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Anyone know what the width of the Orcas are 11-12'' from the bottom? Will they fit in a 18'' cooler bay? Trying to get info from the ebay vendor is worthless.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I tried to get that info from orca.. sent a couple emails with no response... i decided to try the mammoth... I didnt want to get an orca just to have the company go under and not offer any support... here are some pics of the 125 mammoth on a nrs 72" frame.. about 18.5" between the cross bars..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
And compared to my 150 Rubbermaid gott.. it is a bit narrower than the gott due to the big handles that stick out on the gott and rides a bit lower..

·
Registered
572 Posts
Cody, What are the interior dimensions of the 125? I'm a little surprised that they cost as much as the Yetis unless you got it on the woot site.

The 140 qt Orca has slightly more CI than the Igloo we've been using for a few years, so that has a certain attraction for us. The 125 Yetis and Engels are all a lot small than their size/model # would indicate.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I got one off Woot as well. It looks pretty nice, except I can't understand why they would drill holes through the outer shell just to put the silly little skid feet on. I don't like the idea of water and dirt getting into the insulation. Now I am trying to decide what the best way to seal this up is.

A really dumb thing to do to an otherwise nice cooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Get some DL Ureathane caulk from HD. Tape off the area and fill the holes. That stuff sticks to anything. Wear gloves. I've seen some folks on here recommend a 3M caulk that sound pretty bomber too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Cody,
Thanks for the info.
Since I use cubic inches to compare the interior capacity of coolers, the Mammoth is about 6500 ci. The cheap Igloo we use is bout 7300 ci and the Orca is about 7500 ci. FWIW, the Canyon Cooler 128 Bomber was about 7300 ci. If they every decide to mfr. it again, I'd get one.
We tend to bring a fair amount of fresh food on our trips, so a cooler in the 7300-7500 ci range would work better for us.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Cody,
Thanks for the info.
Since I use cubic inches to compare the interior capacity of coolers, the Mammoth is about 6500 ci. The cheap Igloo we use is bout 7300 ci and the Orca is about 7500 ci. FWIW, the Canyon Cooler 128 Bomber was about 7300 ci. If they every decide to mfr. it again, I'd get one.
We tend to bring a fair amount of fresh food on our trips, so a cooler in the 7300-7500 ci range would work better for us.
I actually emailed canyon and they will be bringing back some of the coolers in a month and a lot more raft sized coolers around the first of the year... so if you have your heart set on one wait until then..

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

Dvor.com has Pelican coolers for a pretty good price right now. $399 for the 150 qt., but, man, those are huge.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those mammoth cooler are back on Woot in case anyone missed out last time!
I hope the fall is treating you all well!

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 38 Posts