Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went through the process of determining which cooler would be the best fit for our raft and frame set up and thought I would share the specification spreadsheet I put together. It does not cover every single option in the 100-140qt range, so please feel free to add to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
This is fantastic!!!!! I'd been researching the exact same thing over the last week or so. You saved me a ton of time! Finally pulled the trigger on an Engel Deep Blue 123 - found a new one on eBay for $290 with free shipping. Should be here Wednesday!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some of the Engel cooler sellers on ebay and Amazon are not authorized sellers, and Engel will not honor any warranty issues. I have confirmed with Kevin @ Engel that that ebay seller ModestlyBrilliant is a Certified Dealer and that VM Innovations handles warranty issues themselves and not through Engel...not that I would expect there to be any issues.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Bought one of these
https://amzn.to/2QP1bCA
Very pleased with it, built as well or better than many I've seen, and kept food for 26 days on the Grand this year, granted it was March, but still... So nice to have fresh food on the last days..

·
Registered
515 Posts
Heads up with the Engel 123. I have the same cooler and like it except.....

The lid can warp. Do NOT leave it open to dry in warm weather and let the sun hit it. Mine warped pretty bad. I was able to get it back to form with clamps and time.

I know of two other people that have had their Engel lids warp. Good cooler, just be super careful of that lid.

tda​

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just bought a canyon prospector. Haven't had a chance to use it though. I like the way the lip sits on my frame cross bars and how low it rests. It comes with a cool rack set-up that can make up to 2 levels. I hope that and the better cold retention will make up for the volume loss.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks! I've been debating coolers of late too for fitying a 38" wide bay. I would love a Prospector that was 2-3" wider and did not sit on the rails.

A question on your measurements. Where is the outside width taken? I have seen several (Palm, K2) that you list as narrower than the manufacturer does. Aee yours actual measurements where the tubes would hit?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks! I've been debating coolers of late too for fitying a 38" wide bay. I would love a Prospector that was 2-3" wider and did not sit on the rails.

The Pelican 95 might be your ticket. It has strap loops molded in to anchor it down to the frame but doesn’t sit on the bars. I have a 65 and really like it and the 95 is the same L & W but taller.

I wish I knew someone with a Canyon Navigator (150 qt) to try in my 156D. I don’t think it would fit but it would be a nice surprise if it did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts