Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried an Engel Cooler? The reviews for the roto molded are great but dang they look heavy and I'm looking to lighten my load. They are less then the Pelican and Yeti too. I like that they are certified bear proof. thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I whole heartedly recommend the Canyon Prospector 103, if you have room. The CP 103 was made for rafts, to me, nothing comes close. From It's raft friendly shape to the drain holes this cooler was thoughtfully designed for rafts While the rubber latches on both brand's look alike, the Canyon's latches hold much tighter. The cooler neatly rests on the cross bars and connects easily with 1ft cams. I usually have over
50% of my ice remaining after 5 day trips, and we are in and out of it all day long.

·
Super Moderator
2,861 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Engle Coolers are Roto-molded. Engle coolers are not noticeably lighter or different than any other brand of high end coolers. Also there is no such thing as lightening up a cooler, its either thick and heavy or thin and takes more ice.

I have an Engle, well mine is actually an NRS branded one but it is made by Engle and really the same except the latches are different. Its a great cooler and I would highly recommend them. Its a much better shape for rafting than a Yeti/RTIC shape. That being said I have the Canyon Prospector cooler too and that thing is simply the best rafting cooler out there.

There are TONS of threads on coolers so check them out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had an Engle 123 and I ended up selling it, I just didn't like the shape/space that it had. Ended up with a 150 Blackrock cooler which I love!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am really happy with the K2 coolers. They are available in 20-120qt. The best part is the latches are fixed to the body which keeps the cross bar from interfering. There is also enough of a lip they can sit on the crossbars without slings if you can adjust your cross bar spacing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the canyon 103 and for the above mentioned points love it. July rogue trip last year still had chip ice frozen to the 2 one gallon ice bottles after 5 days. So so management on keeping it closed. Mounts great but I will say is heavy when loaded with ice, food and drinks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a Blackrock 150 which I love.

I've heard nothing but good about Canyon Coolers but I wanted a larger cooler.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agreed on the Canyon Prospector. It's the only cooler that I know of that is specifically designed for rafting. We love ours.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have three Engel coolers right now, they have held up and worked very well. The biggest drawback in my opinion is the latches and it is not a huge issue. If you are sitting on the cooler, the weight compresses the gasket enough that the latch will open. Not all the way, but will trip the over-center part of the latch. The lid on the Engel has a grainy, non-slip texture that I like. Their roto molding seems to have pores in it that are hard to clean out. Maybe most roto-molds do? I know my Igloo Yukon does not have this and it is much easier to clean. I ended up with them because the sizes just seemed to fit the boats I wanted to use them in. If I could have fit a Prospector 103 in the boat I would own one of them....not quite, so have an Engel 80. Austin Canoe and Kayak stocks them... 15% off and free ship if you sign up for their email list.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you have a Costco nearby, they sometimes have good deals on Pelican. Got a 65 at for $230 last year. It's a bulky shape for a raft, but I love the cooler

·
Registered
94 Posts
We have a yeti 64 for day runs, and a yeti 110 for longer trips. Awesome products, couldn't be happier with durability and ice retention. With that said, looking towards a prospector 103 for a primary boating cooler. They look awesome.

·
Registered
121 Posts
RTIC 65

I bought an RTIC 65 this winter when they were clearing old stock ($135) and have used it the last 2 weeks. Keeps ice 5 days easily with no cooler discipline.

My clan is rough on everything and I feel like this thing will stand up to years of use and abuse.

On a Memorial Day weekend Ruby 3 day trip it had most of the cubed ice left at the end. I also freeze water in 2 plastic bear cookie containers with screw top lids that are about 10-12" tall. Those bears freeze solid and work great. Zero air bubbles like cubed ice so a lot more cooling potential than cubes alone. I've used milk in the past and just drank it as it melted off.

I bought a crate of their 64oz growlers to give to clients at Christmas and folks love them. I get a couple days of cold Diet Dew and ice (if I don't drink it all in a day).

SYOTR

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just got the Canyon 103 too. Really like how it's made to fit in a raft, the latches work great for sitting on a frame and keeps ice cold for days.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I buy Engels on Amazon. Track the pricing trends and you can save $100 most of the time .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Second the RTIC 65. It has a lip if you want to hang it from the crossbars, 1/2 the price of a Yeti and every bit as good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts