Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Definite maybe
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a grizzly 75qt cooler that the gasket falls out every 3rd time its opened. I've searched the interweb and cannot find any info of what people do about this. It would appear that glue would fix it, but what type, I don't want to make a mess of this. Im sure this has been done before. Just looking for your experiences.

·
Registered
555 Posts
No experience with the Grizzly cooler. But I would try some dabs of hot glue, it can be removed easily with denatured alcohol. Counter top installers use it instead of clamps.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've used glue gun and a sealant called LEXEL, available at True Value or other big box stores. Both work, but you have to make sure the surface is dry and leave the lid open and let it cure for at least a couple days. I like LEXEL for a lot of things, but it's pricey, like $8-10 per tube.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd contact Grizzly first. Polyethylene is a hard surface to bond to. Luckily you don't need much strength. Even if it mostly sticks to the gasket and tightens up the fit it should work.
Why you opening that cooler so much? Sounds like bad cooler maintenance to me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hot glue want stick well to HDPE.

You need a high tack adhesive for low surface energy plastics.

3M 90 is your ticket. Spray a glob onto a piece of cardboard and use a small brush to coat both surfaces. Let them dry for a couple minutes and then stick them together. Close cooler and in the morning you’ll be good as gold

If you ever need to replace the gasket, acetone will take the adhesive of the plastic.

·
Definite maybe
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I've emailed grizzly, let's see what they say. Bootboy I was actually leaning in your direction. I was thinking of using the vinyl glue that I've used to glue in outfitting on royalex canoes. I was a bit hesitant because its meant for vinyl not hdpe.

·
Registered
729 Posts
H66 (vinyl glue) will stick for a few openings... and then fail. Grizzly should know the fix. Please share!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well I've emailed grizzly, let's see what they say. Bootboy I was actually leaning in your direction. I was thinking of using the vinyl glue that I've used to glue in outfitting on royalex canoes. I was a bit hesitant because its meant for vinyl not hdpe.
Chemically, you can’t hurt HDPE. (With the exception of some very hard to get chemicals)

The only thing that will hurt HDPE is heat.

·
Definite maybe
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grizzly coolers got back to me and they are shipping out a new gasket. Got to love a company that stands behind their product.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Grizzly coolers got back to me and they are shipping out a new gasket. Got to love a company that stands behind their product.
Good on them.

So now the most important thing you can do is meticulously clean and prep the surface for the new gasket. Liberally use some acetone and make sure that any remnants of any precious adhesive is completely removed and the entire surface is totally clean.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
FWIW, sikaflex 291 is an unbelievable marine adhesive and sealant, sticks to pretty much anything and stays flexible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts