Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Grand Canyon pizza. Pro tip: brown the crust before cooking.
Yes! Pre COVID I made the crust at home and warmed both sides on the griddle before having people assemble their own custom pizza and broiling it. Last year with COVID, I brought already baked pizza. One trip the group was gathered loading gear and I had folks order their own individual pizza on the Mod pizza app. On other trips, when the group was coming from many directions, I just bought several whole pies. Warming the bottom of the slices on the griddle before broiling makes the crust nice and crispy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes! Pre COVID I made the crust at home and warmed both sides on the griddle before having people assemble their own custom pizza and broiling it. Last year with COVID, I brought already baked pizza. One trip the group was gathered loading gear and I had folks order their own individual pizza on the Mod pizza app. On other trips, when the group was coming from many directions, I just bought several whole pies. Warming the bottom of the slices on the griddle before broiling makes the crust nice and crispy.
The main thing is not to overexpose, otherwise the dough will be dry and tough. Then definitely no pleasure.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I used my Pop-up Pit for the first time last week. It was very warm directly under the pit and nachos sounded like a good idea. I remove the lid from a 50 mm ammo can because I thought the seal might melt and used the can to make a platform under the pit. I spread the tortilla chips and cheese on a griddle and 90 seconds later they were done. We got a little fancier the next day and added bean dip, tomatoes and avocado. Using the Pop-up Pit as a broiler would also be a great way to make river pizza, melt cheese on open face sandwiches or cook meat such as a flank steak or pork chops.

I am wondering if I could make and oven and do some baking if I put a skirt around the base of the pit. I am a bit concerned that a skirt might get the pit too hot and damage it. I wrote to Campfire Defender and asked them about this and will let you know what they say. Any other cooking ideas for the Pop-up Pit?
You had me at nachos. I love you.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts