Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my Pop-up Pit for the first time last week. It was very warm directly under the pit and nachos sounded like a good idea. I remove the lid from a 50 mm ammo can because I thought the seal might melt and used the can to make a platform under the pit. I spread the tortilla chips and cheese on a griddle and 90 seconds later they were done. We got a little fancier the next day and added bean dip, tomatoes and avocado. Using the Pop-up Pit as a broiler would also be a great way to make river pizza, melt cheese on open face sandwiches or cook meat such as a flank steak or pork chops.

I am wondering if I could make and oven and do some baking if I put a skirt around the base of the pit. I am a bit concerned that a skirt might get the pit too hot and damage it. I wrote to Campfire Defender and asked them about this and will let you know what they say. Any other cooking ideas for the Pop-up Pit?

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are these legal "for pans" for permitted rivers?
Mine was approved 3x on the Middle Fork Salmon this year. I do not see why it wouldn't be approved for other rivers.There was discussion on another thread. The Pop-up Pit measures 24" x 24", has a 3 1/2" tall sides and the screen on the bottom is so fine that no ash falls through it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pizza

We had friends staying at our house Sunday night so we experimented with making pizza under the Pop-up pit. We cooked the crust first on the low setting (50 mm ammo can on its side) and then added sauce and toppings and cooked the pizza on the high setting (ammo can upright). It worked great. I'll probably make the crust at home or buy pre-made crust rather than bake crust on the river. You could also probably just warm already made pizza, but it is fun to let each person create their own custom pie. Can't wait to try this on the river.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have 2 fire pans a heavy Partner Steel that splits apart and nests inside itself and a really heavy, large Cambridge Steel firepan. When camping, I occasionally use them for fires. Most of the time I’m using them, I am cooking with my Dutch Ovens. I usually use aluminum DO’s when rafting but use my cast iron when camping. These fire pans are heavy but they do a really good job of supporting my DO’s. Sometimes up to 4 at one time.

I was skeptical that the mesh of the Pop Up Pit can support even an aluminum DO. I wrote the Pop Up Pit company about cooking with DO’s. They replied that SS grill grates would soon be available that will work with a DO. I have never cooked with a DO on a grill. I wonder how the legs will work with a grill grate. Will some poke through? Will that matter? Will the grill bend? Have any of you tried this with a DO on the PUP? I have thoughts about cutting aluminum tubing to help support the DO.

I am very intrigued with this pit. I guess I’ll soon be able to say I own 3 fire pans.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dutch Ovens
I was a initially bit concerned about this, but decided having the option for a light weight fire pan for dory trips was just too good to pass up. Decided I could always just set up the ovens on the fire blanket (or maybe a piece of 11 gauge aluminium) as I rarely have more than 4 or 5 briquettes under the bottom oven. The pit is a nice looking piece of gear, can't wait to try it!

·
Sponsoring Vendor
80 Posts
Now, this is creative! Might have to steal the nacho idea for my own trips. 8)

Glad you guys are able to make due while we work on the grill grates and smoker box!

We're going to be doing a lot of testing in the coming weeks with cooking with DOs on the Pop-Up Pit and will report back.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I wonder how the legs will work with a grill grate. Will some poke through? Will that matter? Will the grill bend? Have any of you tried this with a DO on the PUP? I have thoughts about cutting aluminum tubing to help support the DO.

I don't like the hassle of DO legs and grill grates.

I cut the legs off of one of my cast iron DO's to be able to use it in my home oven, on my gas grill, in my camper oven, on a gas stove, on a grill grate, etc. When I use it over an open fire or charcoal, I use a trivet.

My GSI aluminum DO doesn't have legs and also gets used with a trivet.

I'd suggest the trivet solution and chop your DO legs off instead of putting a lot of effort into leg supports. It will make your DO much more flexible.

·
Shapp
1,870 Posts
I don't like the hassle of DO legs and grill grates.

I cut the legs off of one of my cast iron DO's to be able to use it in my home oven, on my gas grill, in my camper oven, on a gas stove, on a grill grate, etc. When I use it over an open fire or charcoal, I use a trivet.

My GSI aluminum DO doesn't have legs and also gets used with a trivet.

I'd suggest the trivet solution and chop your DO legs off instead of putting a lot of effort into leg supports. It will make your DO much more flexible.
Yes! I have used the GIS 10" aluminum dutch oven, that comes standard with no legs, for years for small group trips. Works great as a DO with a trivet and as a pot on the stove. I bought a 12" GSI aluminum dutch oven this year to support a couple larger group trips I wanted to use it as a dutch oven and a large pot for the stove, but the damn 12 and14" GSI dutch ovens come with legs. So I just took a sawsall and cut off the legs and a little file work to make it smooth (less than 10 minutes of work total). the 10" nests inside the 12" and the whole thing fits nicer in the dry box with the lack of legs. Works great as a pot on the stove and on the fire with a trivet for standard DO cooking. I have no idea why GSI makes these with legs. Totally unnecessary.
I posted about it with some pictures here:
https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/143290/

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
We had friends staying at our house Sunday night so we experimented with making pizza under the Pop-up pit. We cooked the crust first on the low setting (50 mm ammo can on its side) and then added sauce and toppings and cooked the pizza on the high setting (ammo can upright). It worked great. I'll probably make the crust at home or buy pre-made crust rather than bake crust on the river. You could also probably just warm already made pizza, but it is fun to let each person create their own custom pie. Can't wait to try this on the river.
We use stonefire naan flatbread for personal pizzas at home... I bet they would work great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
398 Posts
Shap and Mt,
I’ve got 2 of the legless 10 inch GSI’s too. I use trivets on them. I’ve also got 3 enamel cast iron Staub DO’s that come without legs that I use in the oven and stovetop at home. But, to amputate the legs off one of my camp Dutch ovens, that Sir, is too far! I would sooner draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa or throw a rock through a stained glass window than deface Paul Revere’s most noble invention. No, No.

In all seriousness though, I still can’t see how the grill would work any better with the trivet. I have the GSI aluminum trivets that looks like 3 hooks welded together. It seems like at least one of the hooks would slip between a grate just as easy as a DO leg. I’ve been thinking a round plate, like a pizza plate, that fits on the grill. The coals and trivet (or legs, if your old fashioned) could all go on the round plate and the plate on the grill.

I have 6 GSI DO’s. Two 14”, two 12”, and two 10”. It is kind of handy how the 10” nests in the 12”. The question is does the legless 12” nest in the 14”? If it did I could see myself maybe and it’s a big maybe getting out my Sawzall for one of the 12”s.

The trivet seems a little small for the 12” oven though. I’d be worried it would be tippy.

·
Shapp
1,870 Posts
In all seriousness though, I still can’t see how the grill would work any better with the trivet. I have the GSI aluminum trivets that looks like 3 hooks welded together. It seems like at least one of the hooks would slip between a grate just as easy as a DO leg.
I'm not suggesting using a dutch oven on top of the popup pit. Better to bring a metal oil pan to cook with your DOs. If you have a popup pit, I would suggest you start off your coals in the popup pit, then transfer the number of coals you need under the bottom of your DO - into the oil pan. I never use my DOs on the same fire pan where I start the coals in. Its usually way to hot. I like to keep extra coals going in my main fire pit, so that I have some extra to move over to the DO fire pan during the cooking process in case I need to add some more heat for something that may take awhile to cook, especially with aluminum dutch ovens as they don't hold the heat like cast iron.

The 12' GIS dutch oven is not tippy at all sitting on those wire trivets (same trivets I use). Also, 2 of those wire trivets side by side work well to support a Rome super cooker in DO mode as well.

If I was going to use a DO on the popup pit with the grate on top, I think the grate would be a bit above the coals enough that you could just put the DO on the grate and slide some coals underneath. Of course you would have to move a bunch of coals out of the pit entirely or move them way off to the side or else its going to be way to hot in there for baking anything.

·
Shapp
1,870 Posts
I really do like Wade's pizza cooking method there with the popup pit. Pizza is one of my go-to items in the rome super cooker, but it takes awhile. It looks like you can make a bigger thin crust pizza with the popup pit method and you can still enjoy the fire while its cooking.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Shap and Mt,
I’ve got 2 of the legless 10 inch GSI’s too. I use trivets on them. I’ve also got 3 enamel cast iron Staub DO’s that come without legs that I use in the oven and stovetop at home. But, to amputate the legs off one of my camp Dutch ovens, that Sir, is too far! I would sooner draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa or throw a rock through a stained glass window than deface Paul Revere’s most noble invention. No, No.

In all seriousness though, I still can’t see how the grill would work any better with the trivet. I have the GSI aluminum trivets that looks like 3 hooks welded together. It seems like at least one of the hooks would slip between a grate just as easy as a DO leg. I’ve been thinking a round plate, like a pizza plate, that fits on the grill. The coals and trivet (or legs, if your old fashioned) could all go on the round plate and the plate on the grill.
Yeah--I didn't advocate cutting the legs off and using a trivet to make the DO work better with a popup pit. I cut the legs off to make the DO work better everywhere else but the firepit--without losing functionality of cooking with the DO over coals.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 12" anodized aluminum dutch oven. I used it twice this year with my Pop-Up Pit without any problems.

The "only" issue I had was the coals on the bottom burn WAY faster than normal so be prepared for a slightly hotter and faster cooking.

I know the Pop-Up said it can hold quite a bit of weight in wood (I seem to remember a picture on their website showing about 90lbs on the screen) so I wasn't too worried about it.

Anyway, it worked great for me. I'll keep using it as the convenience of the Pop-Up just cannot be beat.

Side note: I see them for sale EVERYWHERE now. I saw them at D&B yesterday. Great job of marketing.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
80 Posts
I have a 12" anodized aluminum dutch oven. I used it twice this year with my Pop-Up Pit without any problems.

The "only" issue I had was the coals on the bottom burn WAY faster than normal so be prepared for a slightly hotter and faster cooking.

I know the Pop-Up said it can hold quite a bit of weight in wood (I seem to remember a picture on their website showing about 90lbs on the screen) so I wasn't too worried about it.

Anyway, it worked great for me. I'll keep using it as the convenience of the Pop-Up just cannot be beat.

Side note: I see them for sale EVERYWHERE now. I saw them at D&B yesterday. Great job of marketing.
Hey LJ, it all started with you guys honestly. We've really started to gain some more traction all over the board and we can't thank each and every one of you guys enough.

In terms of the dutch oven problem, we are working on an attachment to turn the Pop-Up Pit into an oven/smoker that should open up a lot more possibilities. By trapping and regulating all that heat and airflow we're looking at turning the Pop-Up Pit into effectively a convection oven. You'll be able to take premade lasagna in those aluminum pans and heat it up in the 'oven'

Until then I'm sure you guys will stay crafty.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts