Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Re: Conflict resolution...
« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:03:27 PM »So, I was SUPing Shashone River on Sat, three sups and two kayaks. This is class 3 water and is the only river in all of Colorado running right now. Needless to say very busy with downriver activity. We finished up the rapids and were going towards the takeout and were surfing on some tiny waves. We were river center, maybe a little to the right.

I hear some people yelling at us, and I look back and there are these two kids and one parent fishing on the right hand side of the river. They are screaming at us, go f(&Y yourselfs, you f*&^ing assholes etc. Most of this was directed at the 100lb girl we were with us, calling her the c word. It was truly unreal. They then started throwing rocks at her.

We got to the take out and we told the ranger.
About 5 minutes later here came the fisherman. They claim that we were disturing their fishing. That we had scared the fish away. We were no where near them.
The ranger asked them for ID, made sure they had fishing licenses etc. He told them downriver users always have the right away and that by tossing rocks as us they could be charged with assault. He also explained to them that this is the busiest stretch of river in the state right now.
There were numerous things I could not comprehend.
1. This is how the father teaches the kids to react, to curse scream and accost people?
2. Even if we were acting malicously (which we clearly were not), we were a group of five, two of us were pretty large. Use some commen sense here, what would keep us from pulling over and beating the shit our these kids.
3. They are on the busiest river in the state right now. 10 miles away is the roaring fork with some of the best fishing in the state, why not go there.

Anyway, the ranger let them go, we almost called the police but decided against it.

There are assholes everywhere.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Good that you confronted straight away.

·
Registered
204 Posts
throwing rocks, why didn't I think of that, great idea! I'm heading to golden now to cool off and throw rocks at innertubers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I thought it was general practice to throw rocks at the SUP'ers.....

I think you guys did the right thing, better to have an official take care of disputes on the river. When I encounter fishermen on the rio I usually try to stay as far to the other side as is safe passage for myself and group. I also try stay quiet and respectful. Part of me thinks that throwing rocks will do more to scare away the fish than the craft they see float over their heads all day.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It's important to know about conflicts in the areas we boat on and great to know which side the law and rangers are taking. Very glad that you solved the issue through the ranger and that he was supportive. Obviously these people are troubled and should be left alone for the authorities to deal with. Calling the police would have been another appropriate course of action but I'm sure you just wanted out of the situation asap. I've had nearly the same thing happen with a fishing guide taking his clients along the shore at the BV PLAYPARK:shock:. Thanks again for the post and I hope those people learn to respect others!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Really?

Ummm I really want to respond to this, but I am afraid I'd need a bottle of tekillya to do it right.

I will try this however. Go get a really nice hi-cap airsoft machinegun, something in the 400 to 500 fps range. make sure you load it with heavy loads.

Then, enjoy...start busting some welts on their sorry a$$es

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wow what is it with Coloradoand water? My father has a house on a creek in New Jersey. All the fishermen and landowners could care less. They just wave and smile as you paddle by.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow what is it with Coloradoand water? My father has a house on a creek in New Jersey. All the fishermen and landowners could care less. They just wave and smile as you paddle by.
Its not just Colorado. We got flack from local fishermen on two consecutive days near the Rio Grande racecourse in Northern New Mexico a few years ago. Of course they tend not to like anyone who's not a local around there. Haven't bothered going back even though we've been boating there for years.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ive always given fishers a wide berth when paddling thru. Most of the shorehuggers i have encountered are a-holes. some are cool and even wave or say hi. I usually just laugh at the a-holes and it pisses em off. Sounds like dad needed a good ass whoopin and the kids would learn to keep their mouths shut.

·
Registered
265 Posts
angry people are angry people, they're fucking everywhere. I might be on of em. He's just mad he's got children to take care of and not enough disposable income to float and fish. So he's tuck fishing of the side of an interstate?

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
It genuinely sounds like these people were out of line and in a rather negative state of mind. You could have taken the same path as them and pulled over and confronted them, but I think you made the appropriate choice by continuing on and taking it to a ranger.

I encounter both bank fishermen and float fishermen almost every time I boat, but very rarely will I have anyone not wave and smile back. I give them as much space as possible, sometimes on Numbers it's not too much room....but everyone seems to be cool if you are polite (baring the random assholes like the ones you ran into).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Something similar happened to a group I paddled Parkdale with earlier this year. A group of fishermen were fishing on the Parkdale boat launch and told us that we were disturbing their fishing after we took out. They were very reasonable and the confrontation didn't involve name calling, it was just a misunderstanding. I've also had kids throw rocks at me before from the river bank, but it turned out they were French so I just assumed it was their way of saying hello.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was paddling on this trip. It's tough to grit your teeth when people act out like this and not go pound someone's face for throwing rocks and saying things they did.

But the right choice was made. And beside's these weren't real fisherman. Father & two sons were sitting on the banks with their spinner reels and kswiss. Just some idiots quick to pick a fight.

Way to go, this guy wins Dad of the year.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
bummer it happened. sounds like you handled in a reasonable matter, good on ya.

however, your claim that it "is the only river in all of Colorado running right now" is incorrect. i can think of several right off the top of my head that are good to go....

not being a dick, just saying that you can find less crowds and decent water elsewhere if you are willing to look.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, and with it being a low water year there are bound to more folks out on the banks. This has been my first incident with a "fisherman" Never had a prob with the folks who at least looked like they knew what they were doing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a fisherman and unfortunately I see this often - for some reason some of these people think by standing on the bank, they have claim to all water and river bank within and beyond casting distance. I've seen guys cast 2oz lead weights at fishing boats on the river because they were within thier casting distance. It can get ugly fast. I have even had people go off on me for fishing too close to them on the bank.

What they don't get is that the boaters are actually helping them out - the boats will move the fish closer to the shore. If they just sit down and have a beer while the fish calm down they will not have to cast out to the middle of the river to get em.
As far as confrontation - you did the right thing. A lot of times these fine folks are carrying. I am a little guy and I always carry when bank fishing alone in remote places, just for protection from these guys (and bears, and crackheads).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts