Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one going to the Confluence today. It's aroung 500 this morning but as the snow melts, it should be upwards of 1000 by this afternoon (hopefully). I am going around 4:00 if anyone wants to meet. I'll be the one with ear plugs and nose plugs.

Jon

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
kayaking

I'll be out there after I close up the shop at 6:00. And, I don't paddle in cold water with out ear plugs anymore either. Should be a good time.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Headed out in the next hour or so, proplugs and noseclips in tow. Skatepark wave should be *ON* at these levels. It rocks at 1000, and the ferry is easy at higher water.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hey Frenchy, the Buzz clock might be off - I just posted that at 2:30, and it says I posted it at 11:30am. Hmmm.

·
Registered
178 Posts
OK, What is the deal with confluence? Some people like it, others say that they would not dare set foot in there. I see that it is flowing at the moment. But does that mean you are surfing with turds??

·
Registered
882 Posts
You'll have to decide for yourself - that's the only fair thing to say. Some hate it, I dig it, and the number of people that don't go mean that there's a very short queue in the eddy.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I grew up learning to surf/ferry/roll at a place in Atlanta now called the $h!T hole. It is a section of the Chattahoochee that runs thru the metro area. I think it was a lot worse than the Confluence, but it was fun and made me into a much better paddler. Right now, since there is nothing else going off and since I just bought a new playboat (thanks Badkins), I'm off to try out the play and hopefully spend a minimal amount of time up-side-down. When the real rivers are running, you won't find me down at Confluenza.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not worth it IMO

My last adventure at Confluence yielded seven weeks of extraordinary stomach trouble and an opportunity to practice soiling the underside of my toilet seat about six time per day. This was caused either by giardia or some chemical in the water that was strong enough to kill all the giardia. Take your pick.

I personally am more than happy to help keep the lines short at Confluence.
:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, i will be free tuesday at like 2:30. I am currently living in greeley. so how do i get there from here? and whats all this talk about getting sick or some shit? what kinda place is this?

kevin

·
Registered
68 Posts
quit yur crying...

It's city runoff. Streets get dirty. It rains hard and the runoff ends up in the river. There are some detergents in the water as well.
There have been numerous threads about the water quality of confluence (search for them). Boulder Creek has more fecal matter in it for a reference. I would recommend nose plugs as I would with any urban paddling experience.
Whether you get sick depends on your immune system. I paddled at Confluence for many years with no isses. The sickest I have ever been from paddling happened on the Numbers section of the Ark. You just never know.
The playboating at high water confluence is awesome, probably only second to Union Chutes and maybe Salida in multiple-feature, Colorado playablility. (If you scoff you haven't been there at high water, the real fun is not in the park.)
If you're interested, check it out. If you get sick. Don't go back.
The seven-week pooping thing seems unlikely that he would be the sole example of the sickness but, once again, you never know.

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Boulder Creek/Confluence Fecal Coloform

Regarding the statement that Boulder Creek has more Fecal Coliform, I've talked to Claire McGrath about this and from what I remember, she said that you have to take that with a grain of salt. It seems like there was one sample collected each from Confluence and Boulder Creek by undergrad students that were doing a class project, and the one from Confluence was brought in in an antifreeze jug or something like that. Typically sampling for water quality is done with a bit more stringent protocols and also several samples are collected during a specified period.

--Andy

·
Registered
157 Posts
An old school boater from England, once told me when paddling in the gutters, to drink plenty of Coke (2 litres, some before, some after). It always prevented him from getting sick and me too. ????

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've paddled Connie for 10+ yrs a couple times a year at least. Never got sick from it that I know of. Did the Coke thing in foreign countries, but not here.

Small doses build your immune system for when you get that big dose!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yeah Coke is a little acidic, but I don't think it's gonna kill any bacteria present in water. I mean the digestive juices in your stomach are a lot more acidic than cola, so it shouldn't have an affect.

KP

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this seems ridiculous, but Coke actually is almost identical in pH to that of stomach acid.
I have paddled confluence on multiple occasions at different levels and never been sick as a result, and when I was first learning I know I consumed more "dirty" water than I should have.
--Al

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've heard gum soaked in tee tree oil works well.

The thing that disturbs me about union chutes and confluence is sitting in eddies with sewer debris and racing Styrofoam cups down stream.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i went yesterday for the first time. It was gross, but I just started off by taking a large gulp, just to get used to it. I was amazed by how good the waves were, and by how many kaykers and trash you can fit in one eddy!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts