Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Level 2 kayaker looking for a buddy to play at Confluence in Denver during the week. Anyone out there?

S

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is the water really as nasty as some people say?? Do the hepatitis A,B and C hole titles hold true?? I have never been.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea. Hopefully someone who does know will chime in and provide feedback. Where else can one play near the metro Denver/Boulder area?

·
Registered
105 Posts
conluence

I paddled at confluence last year with some frequency and never had a problem. I got a little freaked out one night around dusk when I was paddling at noticed a bunch of rats swimming in the water with me. I didn't think rats swam. It was only that one time. I think it was really low flow. Anyways I was thinking I might start hitting it after work until Golden comes up.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
"Mountainbuns" aka Claire did some research on this one. The post was called "Looking for South Platte pollution info" and it has a lot of good info within about Confluenza.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yes rats can swim!!!! Wash your eyes, bacteria in the water is high. Stye infections have been known to occur. Nothing like having those babies lanced, yikes

Kent

·
Registered
499 Posts
Rumor has it that if you paddle confluence regularily you will never get sick, your immune system will be a battle hardened warrior.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You don't need a buddy to boat Confluence. There is no danger there. There are also generally a bunch of spectators.

As for sickness, well, I've probably boated there 40 times and my son likes to swim the rapids. I think the reports of diseases are way over-exagerated. It's fun to rat on an urban play park.

But, I'm pretty sure an intestinal bug I had I caught from confluence. In two weeks I lost 10 pounds, which I needed to loose. Then I went to the doctor who gave me Cipro and the bug was gone. Bacterial stuff is easy to treat.

Are you sure you saw rats? There are lots of raccoons and other animals down on the Platte.

·
Registered
44 Posts
there are a couple of places to play in the denver metro area stevenk. on the same river, south platte, you can go to union street boat chutes but those are only good at higher levels. our u could go to golden the have a play park, or up stream a ways juss above idaho springs is a place that i call surf ally, it was great surf wave after wave, its a little tricky puttin in becuz of private property, but eh, and then boulder creek up at evan g. fine park has some good waves. and those are about it, i dont really like confluence park unless if its higher at lower water u cant stay in the waves or anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts