Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am dying to get in the water but nothing is runnin, so tomorrow (Sunday), I just might bite the bullet and go to Confluence. Is Union better at these flows? Anyone want to test the waters?:???:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I am dying to get in the water but nothing is runnin, so tomorrow (Sunday), I just might bite the bullet and go to Confluence. Is Union better at these flows? Anyone want to test the waters?:???:
I'm a beginner but I'm jonesing to get out also. What time did you have in mind?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think Union is way better than Confluence, if Union is really at 500.

And neither is really appropriate for a beginner at 500. But, the advantage of confluence is that it's a safe place to swim if you are wearing a helmet.

Union is a bit squirly and a guy died there last year by probably getting snagged on something underwater. But, his being a swimmer not wearing a life vest was probably a major contributing factor.

Confluence is a great place for a beginner at 100 cfs.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've never been to union as low as it is now (275), but I'd expect the play to be minimal with probably only the 1st feature having a small hole. Probably a one hit mini-surf at current flows.

Confluence is a bit better at current flows (500ish). You can surf 3-4 of the waves in the park now. Confluence has the fast eddies which are good early season practice too. Most of the features below the park are not in right now except the feature below the suspension bridge a couple hundred yards downstream from the park.

Neither is great, but it beats sitting on the couch, and I've been down a few times to start getting the arms in shape for paddling season.

Golden is a lot colder, but a lot cleaner, and at 100 cfs might be the leader for low water nothing else to do playparks.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Deepsouth,

Basil didn't seem to think I should be hanging out anywhere as a beginner (been to deckers once and have been working out in a pool). What would you suggest?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I didn't say beginners shouldn't hang out at either place. I'm not one to say what you should or shouldn't do. I'll help pull you and your gear out of the water the first few times.

For easier runs in the metro area, you can do any part of the South Platte except Confluence or Union. Confluence and Union are the biggest rapids on the South Platte, except for some of the small dams along the way. You should scout those. They all have boat chutes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Badaz
just go to confluence, and git er done. Practice catching those swirly micro eddies, itll be time well spent. If you get the chance, the stmbt town run is perfect for skills building, w ample play (splat, standing waves, purpose built play spots) and usually we will even chase your boat, at least the first time.;)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sorry I misinterpreted what you said Basil. I think the primary reason I was thinking union, confluence or golden play parks is because I can be reasonably certain of people being there and make some friends in the sport and learn some stuff. Can't do that riding the sofa you know.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Badaz
just go to confluence, and git er done. Practice catching those swirly micro eddies, itll be time well spent. If you get the chance, the stmbt town run is perfect for skills building, w ample play (splat, standing waves, purpose built play spots) and usually we will even chase your boat, at least the first time.;)
Thanks for the suggestion Yampa but steamboat is a ways from the denver area. I'll be headed to Jackson Hole in June, maybe I'll stop in there and check it out.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Confluence could get a bit exciting for a beginner. The eddies are fast and swirly, and if your roll isn't fast, and you swim, you'll probably swim all the way to the bottom, hit your ass of the shallow drops, and get banged up. If someone is at the bottom to catch your gear and this sounds like fun then go for it.

You can always put in at the bottom or in between any of the drops and paddle around. Just make sure someones there with you to catch gear.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sounds like most everyone is warning me away from union and confluence. What is Golden like right now?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Union and Confluence are fine for beginners in my opinion.

At Connie, put in at the bottom, or better yet, head down river a little bit to where the foot bridge is. Great eddy line to practice stearn squirts and eddy turns to your hearts content. I do agree that you might not want to put in at the top until you solidify your roll. It'll be a short swim, but not a fun one.

Same goes for Union. You might not want to jump into the waves if you are a true newby, but plenty of room to practice eddy turns, squirts, etc. Stay far, far away from the very bottom hole until you are ready for a good beating!

As always, don't paddle alone. If you are there solo, let the other boaters know you are a newby and they'll be ready to help chase your gear.

Good luck.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm down for either confluence or golden and i will take beginners if anyone wants to go....i would prefer that you had your roll because learning a roll in the cold water is not that much fun. Either way, let me know. I would like to go any time after noon.
720-273-1998

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Golden is the place to go for beginners. A number drops to get some adrenaline going, lots of places to practice eddyhopping, squirts, rolling, etc. Most places are easily self-rescuable if you swim, and there are pretty much always people there. Plus, if there's a good chance you'll be swimming, I would personally try to avoid the Confluence and Union because of water quality.

COUNT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts