Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Buzzard,
How long of a run can you do on the Conejos? Can you do a multiday run? (please indicate put-ins and takeouts and length of runs)
What other rivers can you run in the vicinity?
Thanks
Flo

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Sure. You can put in as high as the bottom of Platoro Reservoir and I have paddled as far down as the South Fork Conejos confluence. You can go further, but I've heard there used to be a fence or two across the river. This is not an extremely long run (probably on the order of 10? miles), but there is some prime real estate for camping, or you can reserve a site at the Lake Fork Campground.

There are also some options for multi-day floats on the Rio Grande in Colorado.

When I run the Conejos I often combine it with stuff in the Pagosa area (East Fork San Juan, Mesa Canyon, Piedra). Rio Grande and Lake Fork Gunnison are not far away either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
IMO a base camp area, not an overnighter. Pinnacle and CO17 down to the Mogote campground are the only decent runs. Water is down but doable now.

Upper RG and Creede area is good to go water wise. I went last year and the commercials were only running from Wagon Wheel gap down with only some sign on the upper sections.

Check out previous threads, fun area but dropping fast.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
The Conejos certainly doesn't have the mileage to warrant a true multi day float. HOWEVER, I have enjoyed many overnight trips on Browns Canyon of the Ark and it's a similar length. Plus everything on the west bank of the Conejos is South San Juan Wilderness. You could spend several days hiking and exploring the area.

The best section of the Upper Rio Grande to overnight is the Box Canyon below Rio Grande Reservoir. Again, it's not an overly long run, but the south shore borders the Weminuche Wilderness... also providing ample opportunity for camping and exploration. The biggest downfall to this area is that it burned a few years back. I haven't been there since, but hopefully the forest is starting to revegetate itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts