Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the wrong board but I seem to get more input from this board. I'll post on the gear board if necessary. Please tell me which boat you think is best and why.

Nomad
Salto
Gus
Pyranha M3
Thanks a ton and all input is welcome.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Nomad : Embudo clone - personally I'd go with the originol, but I'm sure the Dagger outfitting is better

Salto : a very good boat, but ask the craw about the nose cracking - apparently it is common. Buy new so that you have the warrantee...

Gus : good boat but hard to get used to, I haven't paddled it but I've heard that sometimes it doesn't want to turn and will plow straight into what you wanted to avoid. However, it sounds like this is a problem that dissapears once you are familiar with the handling

Pyranha M3 : I don't know jack about this boat, but generally Pyranha's have not been up to front range mank abuse...

of those 4 I most like the Salto, but my money would probably go to a Huck...

hope that helps dawg!

-Brian

PS - Congrats!

·
Registered
569 Posts
huck versus gus

I was actually paddling my brand new huck in a race in Tennessee and was fumbling around with it a bit and then hopped in the Gus because of the hull speed and and won the next round. I thought it handled really well and worked better for me in that situation. I am anxious to try my Huck again.

PEter

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
There is a review in whitewater magazine of 5 new creekers and they list the nomad as the best. I am not going to list an opinion due to the fact that I have a nomad 8.1 for sale or trade for the nomad 8.5. The boats barely used if you are interested.

gh

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gus

Gus-seems to be the best all round boat that you can paddle on most stuff. I like mine 99% of the time and havent found the perfect one yet. I am on my second one(I like to beatem). It boofs easily, tracks really well, is pretty manuverable, and has good speed. People dont like it because it is a forward turning boat like the older boats so if you are coming from playboat or 7' creeker you will need a little time to get used to it. Once you have done that I found it very manuverable about as much as the m3. It is a little bit more unstable than the others due to the high center of gravity caused by the seat height. Most just learn to work with it or lower the seat. This is the ONLY thing I think could be improved on. Some people dont like it because it is long but that is what makes the better all round creeker/big water boat. It can handle the steeps and the big water really well. If you are only looking for low volume super steep stuff sure there are better options but how often will paddle that extreme. People say it is easier to get pinned in tight moves but as soon as you learn how to turn it really is graceful. You can get pinned and blame it on the length or take responsibility for getting a$$ kicked. I'd say it could handle 99% of colorado. Resurfaces great. I am probably on the smaller size at 160 for this boat, the heavier the better.

M3- I paddled this twice. Good boat. Boofs easily, tracks well, a little slow but better than others. It seemed as manuverable as the gus but not better. It did ride nice and high in the water with more distributed volume in the bow and stern so it might bounce off rocks easier instead of in a gus gets more jarring bounce off but if you still land flat you will go a couple of inches deeper until the cockpit volume resurfaces the boat. Really stable.

Nomad- havent paddled it but it looks like a cfs and a gus smushed together. I have heard it is very stable and looks like it would besemifast and easy to boof. Heard it is good at everything but not great at one thing in particular. Bigger water preferably a gus, steeper stuff m3 or cfs.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Nomad

Matt, I think you should get the Nomad. Purely based on the selfish reason of- I want to give it a long term demo myself. I think the CFS was too short for my style and I imagine it will have trouble in big-water, and I'm having trouble finding Gradients. Are you going to paddle the Salto in Cali or are you going to risk a new boat "experience"? See you Friday MR. Dead Money and bring some extra to the table for the post-game sucker!
-d

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jamie, I thought about the Y long and hard.........I'm gonna opt for a little less chine and some serious improvement on the outfitting (great boat IMO). And as for you Livingston.........I'm sorry to hear you can't find a gradient. I obviously want you in your favorite boat incase you're having to retrieve my new one for me. i promise no dropping of this one while portaging on the Yuba. But no Dagger Nomad demo for you, Unless something drastic changes I'm gonna buy the M3 243.

·
Registered
281 Posts
yo matt! i've paddled a cfs for 3 years and it has been awesome! if dagger had one coming out this year, i would get another one...on that note, i am going to be getting a nomad 8.1 if i weren't going that route, i would be purchasing a pyrhana micro. both boats have not only a great reputation behind them, but they will hold up to the rigors that i put them through...the cfs i loved b/c it was the most stable boat i have been in, surfaces quickly, boofs easily, wavewheels easily, carves a turn on a dime (alpine still has a couple if you are wanting that)....the M3 i haven't paddled yet, but it seems to have a lot of similarities to the old models, it's not as big as the cfs nor is it as small as the nomad, i have heard great things from several people regarding this boat...as far as the salto goes, i don't know much...i have heard about a couple of them cracking, but i have several friends back east the swear by them, so that should be considered as well...like i said though, i am going with the nomad 8.1 this year...

good luck...solomon

·
Registered
146 Posts
Matt , less chine, I can find you a Gambler or maybe Benny's Overflow. It only has been sitting in his back yard for about 2 - years. Or maybe an old Wave Sport Decente. Just messing, hope to see you tonight. ~J

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey I like my Salto. It has 80+ days on it. Lots of early season Bear Creek and Blackrock days, so it handles the mank. Haven't had a nose cracking prob and I have pitoned the heck out of it a few times (once in Bailey and once in Lower Fish). It's a fast boat that surfaces well and has great overall secondary stability. It rolls as quick as anything I've paddled, has bomber grab loops and great plastic. It can be little unforgiving if you don't stay on it (no backseat paddlin'). It's a great boat for the average sized white guy like myself (6'0 175lbs). Other than that I think the Embudo is also a great Creeker, the Huck and the CFS look fun too.

Cheers
Keont

·
Registered
58 Posts
Personallly I like my creeker 225. Try it out. Some people call it hole bait but what small creeker isn't in a big hole. Also demo all the boats before you bye one to see it you like it. Well, that's my two bits.

JK

·
Registered
558 Posts
the gus is the best boat i have ever paddled. the edge is sick. you apply the edge, aim, take one or two strokes and you have hit your line. its fast. its still maneuverable but takes a little getting use to. it is definitely the most aggressive and advanced creek boat out there. your skills will increase dramatically from paddling it. my friend got one and hated it. he was upside down all the time. as soon as i got in it i felt like it was made for me. i guess it depends on you're style. definitely demo one.
it resurfaces perfectly every time. punches holes, boofs, . it is awesome.

wigston

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My two cents. I paddled the creeker 225.......(my momma always said if you can't say something nice then don't say anything) therefore I'll say it sure looks cool. I paddled the Salto for a long time and loved it until they changed the plastic. I sat in the Gus and sat way too low (I however have only heard good things about the Gus) The Huck was a great boat to paddle just too small for me. I recently paddled the pyranha M:3. This boat is outstanding. It boofs great. rusurfaces predictably, tracks well, turns well, holds an edge well, reaches full hull speed quickly, has great safety features and requires very little outfitting since the boat comes with superior outfitting installed. I would recommend to anyone in the market for a new creeker to DEMO the Pyranha M:3 before you buy anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
wow man. Just trying to help.

JK

1 - 20 of 21 Posts