Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to do a kayaking trip through Cataract Canyon. Anyone have an info on commercial raft support trips that let kayakers paddle along with the group? Anyone have any suggestions for paddling this section?

Thanks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
dunno bout raft companies, but there was a guy in Durango that did a solo self support trip down cat in a kayak in 4-5 days last spring, just use a big boat, and pack light. its one option

·
Super Moderator
4,053 Posts
If you're willing to hang out with rafters, you may be able to find one or two who are willing to carry your beer and gear on the trip. You'll have to get used to eating steaks cooked over a grill or brownies from a Dutch oven, drinking ice-cold beer, and sleeping in a tent with a comfy sleeping pad and bag, hanging out in a camp chair by a nice fire, and general hedonism, though. If you're lucky with your choice of rafters, they'll be the kind that don't mind hanging out at playspots while kayakers surf for awhile. A motor will be a definite plus considering the miles of flatwater on a Cat trip.

That said, I once met a German couple on a float trip. They were doing about 4 or 5 days on the White River and, when I offered to take back the empty can from the beer I'd given him so he wouldn't have extra volume/weight to carry out, he declined and said that they'd once done 9 days self-supporting with those old Prijons.

But seriously, you may be able to hook up with a private raft trip - contact me offline and I'll tell you how to get in touch with rafting groups where you'll have a better chance of doing so.

--Andy

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,466 Posts
economical and relaxed vs. pricey and rushed.

we usually spend 3 days in the rapids, yea its hard to do but thats what camp is for. couple of beaches with play spots within walking distance, layovers........ with a commercial trip you'll get blasted through and you'll be lucky if you spend more than 1 day running rapids.

dont know about kayak support trips or if they are cheaper but last i saw a 3 day commercial trip through cat was around 800. all of my trips (5 that i have planned) have run 125-200/ person for four to six night trips. including gas, shuttle, food, permit and some group intoxicants. private is the way to go if you can work with a rafter schedule. various carpooling and running shuttle makes the cost change.
if i dont get any permits/invites for late season i am going to try and make a trip in. dont think i will catch big water this year due to a middle fork and a chama but a mid july trip might be in the works. e mail me in june and i'll let you know, as i'm sure there will be room for a couple more cryaks. although like andy said, suffering through palate freezing beer and sitting in camp chairs with a plate of unsanded food is the norm, he did forget to mention you will get to indulge in the finer things as well, the rig, the de rig, setting up shitter, doing dishes, that sort of thing. may be a little much work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You Provide beer, I'll Provide a raft? Do you have a permit and dates already? No need for a motor anymore. Fowell is so low now there is flow to the take out.

Parker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts