Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a new cataract frame. Looking for an aluminum welded frame built in a design similar to a PRE frame. If you can do something along these lines please drop me a line.

·
Super Moderator
4,369 Posts
If you're in the market for an aluminum frame locally, check out Down River Equipment and River Boat Works. They sponsor the Buzz and you can find them on out list of Partners here.

I'm not sure if those guys regularly make welded frames, but if not, I bet they can still hook you up.

If you're out further west, like near Sacramento, check out our other pipe-bending sponsor, Whitewater Machine Works.

-AH

·
Beginner
2,603 Posts
I'd recommend two great businesses that also support the 'buzz as partners; DRE in Denver and Riverboatworks in Salida. I've had really good aluminum frames from both of them and they both do custom aluminum work. Their prices are similar and really haven't gone up much as aluminum has so I'd expect a really fair deal from either.

·
Super Moderator
4,369 Posts
yeah, musta been. And my DRE frame's still going great after 12 years and lotsa lotsa miles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
AAA in Denver will do most things as well (although I share concern on 3/4" aluminum frame). I spoke to AAA and DRE before I bought last year and found AAA a bit more flexible than DRE on what they would do that was "atypical". Don't get me wrong though, I think DRE makes a nice frame and they are good guys there (bought lots of other stuff from them). I'd suggest talking to them both. Riverboat is very flexible as well, just not convenient if you live in front range.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I like DRE for many things. However, when I was in the market for a welded aluminum frame, I knew what I wanted and went to DRE and got a lot of push-back on features that I wanted. They told me that if they welded some of the joints that they wanted to use fittings on, the frame would bend and sag there. I also had trouble with welds on a large dry box that I ordered from them cracking repeatedly. They were always nice about fixing it, but it leads me to wonder how good the welding is there.

In the end I ponied up and drove to Flagstaff to get a frame from PRO, who builds exactly what I wanted, with no pushback. I think it was also cheaper than what DRE quoted me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
327 Posts
Water Vehicle Water park Plastic

This front bay is one continuous piece of 1 5/8" od 6061 aluminum tube, supposedly 6061 is not bendable, but i looks like it bent just fine to me. Probably could save you some bucks if you'd like to pitch in with some labor. I can bend, weld, notch any thing you design. Im in ft collins, not a professional just a boater.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
143 Posts
The strength of a welded joint on a round member is porportional to the radius to the third power or r^3.
A 1.5 ips welded joint yields .95"^3 or .875 in^3

A 1" ips welded joint yields .65"^3 or 0.276 in^3

The ratio of the values is 3.17. The inference is that a 1.5 pipe joint is 3.2 times stronger than a 1" pipe joint all other parameters being equivalent.

The cost of the welders time however is about the same for each of the joints.

From a efficiency perspective, the larger pipe is better. However, If you have to carry the frame a mile to the river, the price is justifyable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.