Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to track down different small trailer builders in Colorado and thought it might be nice to start a thread specifically for that.

I am currently looking for a trailer for my 14.5' SOTAR and am more interested in dealing with a smaller/custom builder than the large trailer dealers with ready made trailers on the lot. It seems there's quite a lot of markup on those trailers and they aren't particularly well designed in some cases.

I'm aware that John the Welder on the forum does trailers in Delta, CO and that Marshall Welding in Salida has closed up shop. Any other small fabricators out there ?

Thanks!

On a side note, this guy in Montana montanaboat.com looks like he builds an incredibly bomber trailer. I would buy from him, but he's in Missoula and I'm in Colorado so it would be quite a hike just go pick it up...

Attachments

·
don't bogart that
185 Posts
Hiebco Trailers

I have known several people that have had good work from this shop. One axle was installed where it burned a tire out with in a year and they totally stood behind their work with a new axle and tire
Hiebco Trailers - Automobile - Bayfield, CO

A little out of your way
We bought a trailer once on a trip back from Idaho in Logan UT, I think it it was PJ trailers, Awesome service and a great price

Robert

Yes we are hard on trailers

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sportrail Home

I think they are out of Loveland. The site says northern Colorado.

These guys make some sweet trailers and do custom work too... I know a couple people with their trailers and can say they are definitely really nice. The roller is especially well built.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does Sportrail sell retail? I think you need to go to allamerican in Commerce City to get one locally. Nice, but not cheap.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I put my 14' 6" Sotar and everything that goes with it on a TopHat trailer. I bought it up in Cheyenne from these folks: Factory Direct Trailer Sales

TopHat is better quality than any other trailer I've seen hauling a raft. A buddy of mine did pretty extensive research and ended up w/ one. After I looked at about 3 places in Denver for comparable quality to his I gave up and asked him where he bought his. It was cheaper than the flimsy pieces of crap I found in Denver so I drove to Cheyenne and bought the same one he has.

Real 15" rims on a real axle with real tires. Solid construction. Rides great empty or full (I got one w/ the axle centered front/back).

Mine came with a pine deck and steel frame sides and I used 2X6 cedar to put siding and a tailgate on it and capped the tops of the sides w/ strips of Trex Dex. I had a friend weld a spare tire holder to the front (that shop in Cheyenne will do that kind of thing for you). I mounted 6 massive D-ring cargo tie-downs to the frame through the deck. You could lift the trailer w/ one of the tie-downs. I probably have about $1300 in it (their prices have gone up since I put mine together, I think my base trailer was about $900 something and is now over $1000).

I don't see how folks can be comfortable hauling a full load on the tiny little wheels and axles most utility trailers have. They look like junk to me and they make me nervous when they are in front of me on I-70.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
One thought on trailers-----The day may come when you want to stack two boats to make the shuttle work. Because of the width necessary to hold a boat the wheels will be under the deck. Because small wheels spin faster they burn out bearings so you will be better served by larger wheels. Larger wheels will rub on the under side of the deck if you don't have a stiff enough suspension. I suggest you buy a trailer with a stiff enough suspension to hold two loaded boats with larger wheels. Also install bearing buddies so that you can inject wheel bearing grease every year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sportrailer all the way!

I worked with both Jerry at All American in commerce city and Roger him self and designed exactly what I needed. A little spendy after all said and done but I have a versital do all lifetime trailer. Very pleased.

·
Banned
162 Posts
This is the trailer I have been eyeing. Although it is a long damn ways from Colorado I saw 2 of these at the Lochsa this year and they are by far the most wicked looking well built raft trailers we had ever seen. I took a picture of one at 3rivers but cant find it. Those trailers were the talk of the weekend from everyone at camp. They had 4 cats stacked on one.
Trailers

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ark Welding

+1 for Will Hodge (Ark Welding) in Salida. Great to work with and will customize a trailer for your boat and your budget.

·
Super Moderator
4,208 Posts
It's a bummer that Marshall's closed up his shop - he did a great job on modifying a Sled Bed snowmobile trailer for me years ago. The Canyon Elite looks pretty sweet!

One thing to consider about the rollers - I've seen the long single-bar rollers warp and once this happens, the roller won't turn. An alternative is three shorter rollers across the back, just make sure the supports aren't higher than the roller surface. If you just want one roller across the entire width, another simple alternative is to run a section of stout pipe across, then to put a PVC pipe sleeve over it that turns. No bearings to gum up and even if the bar warps, the PVC will still spin when you slide the boat over it.

Happy shopping!

-AH

·
Registered
150 Posts
Spam

This is the trailer I have been eyeing. Although it is a long damn ways from Colorado I saw 2 of these at the Lochsa this year and they are by far the most wicked looking well built raft trailers we had ever seen. I took a picture of one at 3rivers but cant find it. Those trailers were the talk of the weekend from everyone at camp. They had 4 cats stacked on one.
Trailers
How did I know before even clicking on the link that it would lead to Canyon Whitewater Inflatables?

If your going to spam, do it honestly...

"Hey, check out these great trailers that my friends/boss/company are/is making..."

Either that or re-register and see if you get it better next time.
At least you have been significantly more subtle than the first spambot they sent out.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
On a side note, this guy in Montana montanaboat.com looks like he builds an incredibly bomber trailer. I would buy from him, but he's in Missoula and I'm in Colorado so it would be quite a hike just go pick it up...

I think I'll be making the trip from Missoula to Denver around the 9th of Aug and my truck would pull this very inexpensively. Call me if interested. 406-five two nine-1259.

·
Banned
162 Posts
How did I know before even clicking on the link that it would lead to Canyon Whitewater Inflatables?

If your going to spam, do it honestly...

"Hey, check out these great trailers that my friends/boss/company are/is making..."

Either that or re-register and see if you get it better next time.
At least you have been significantly more subtle than the first spambot they sent out.
I am not aware of any spam? Its a trailer discussion, I guess your another one of the douches who think they stay in business by me on mountain buzz mentioning a product I like :rolleyes:. Find me a nicer trailer and I will be interested especially if its near Boise " good luck".

Pm me I will be happy to provide you with my number, address etc and you can call me to tell me how butt hurt you are. I find it damn odd when anyone mentions them its spam. If its a product I like I will mention it just as anyone else has an opinion on here. If you already knew where the link was going you must troll their site and have already seen the trailers.

You shouldn't hate on people who build quality gear for boaters, I am all about new products. By the way I own some of their products as do a lot of others I know on here. I personally am watching this thread as I am looking for a trailer, I hadn't heard of a few places that are making trailers that have been mentioned so bring on the spam! now back to the trailer thread PACO

·
Registered
442 Posts
Jayhawk Trailers in Commerce City is good, the staff is cool and prices are really good. Any time I go in there for a light lens or something little they just give me the part. I have a 12'x83.5" with a 22" side rail so I can store gear under the boat. They put a 3500 pound axle under it and 15" wheels which last a lot longer. Why get a flat trailer when you can haul gear under your boat, go with a utility style for sure, then when you're not boating the trailer can be used to haul other stuff. Nothing against flat trailers but I sold mine then I paid about $700 less than those "raft trailers" you see for $2100 bucks on craigslist that are flat with little tires. My buddy welds rollers on I'll get a pic of mine this weekend and try to post it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts