Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to take a run down the Colorado this weekend. I usually head down from Grizzly Creek through South Canyon this time of year, but it looks super big and probably blown out. The other option I'm thinking of is Pumphouse to State Bridge, but I've only run that at low levels in my open decked fishing dory. What's that run like at today's levels? Needles Eye and Yarmony? Or, what about that State Bridge to Two Bridges run? Naw, too mellow. Curious as we're looking for max fun in whitewater dory...which is looking like the Pumphouse run

Thanks for any input you can share!
-Fin

·
Registered
257 Posts
Pumphouse is gassing >6000 cfs right now. Laterals in Needle Eye are huge and chaotic, Yarmony hole would eat a bus.

It's a VERY different experience at these levels than at 1500cfs.

I wouldn't make a recommendation either way, not knowing your comfort level with big, cold, fast water...but yeah, Pumphouse grows mean and unforgiving at flows like this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pumphouse is gassing >6000 cfs right now. Laterals in Needle Eye are huge and chaotic, Yarmony hole would eat a bus.

It's a VERY different experience at these levels than at 1500cfs.

I wouldn't make a recommendation either way, not knowing your comfort level with big, cold, fast water...but yeah, Pumphouse grows mean and unforgiving at flows like this.
Thanks. I'm pretty comfortable in big knarl having done The Grand, Westwater, Lunch Counter / Big Kahuna on the Snake, etc. I will have newbie passengers, however. I was just checking out some YouTube vids of Pumphouse at levels > 8k and it doesn't look that bad?? The 2 extra thousand CFS must mellow it out a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXtOZ4yyjww

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks. I'm pretty comfortable in big knarl having done The Grand, Westwater, Lunch Counter / Big Kahuna on the Snake, etc. I will have newbie passengers, however. I was just checking out some YouTube vids of Pumphouse at levels > 8k and it doesn't look that bad?? The 2 extra thousand CFS must mellow it out a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXtOZ4yyjww
Have fun, be safe. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
At 6300 & rising there's lots of waves & good splashy fun. As noted eye of the needle has a couple of holes to dodge & yarmony will fuck you up if you don't go left entering the rapid & get back to center (there are a couple holes along the wall as the river turns right). Good high water fun if you gots the skills, but in a dory could be dicey. Stay safe out there!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At 6300 & rising there's lots of waves & good splashy fun. As noted eye of the needle has a couple of holes to dodge & yarmony will fuck you up if you don't go left entering the rapid & get back to center (there are a couple holes along the wall as the river turns right). Good high water fun if you gots the skills, but in a dory could be dicey. Stay safe out there!
Pro Leisure as in the Boulder based band? Ha. Thanks for the input. From what you guys are saying, I should probably run this one with an experienced buddy before taking the newbies down. So, that means we'll probably do the Grizzly to South Canyon run instead. Do you happen to know if the take out at South Canyon is practical to access at current levels? Seems like it might be hard to get in there, or no eddy?

·
Registered
326 Posts
grizzly to glenwood is hardly anything except a beer float until the levels get up above 6k. nothing difficult at any level.

cooler weather coming today and the weekend, rate of flow increase should lessen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grizzly to glenwood is hardly anything except a beer float until the levels get up above 6k. nothing difficult at any level.

cooler weather coming today and the weekend, rate of flow increase should lessen.
Yeah, it's really about those fun waves in South Canyon, but that's about it...

·
fat guy in a little boat
409 Posts
hey so i live at rancho and run pumphouse with custies everyday. i'm looking for paddlers this weekend.
i'm midway thru training my rookie. gotta have paddle support to get him used to the feel of taking customers ya know.
anyone that wants to join is welcome.

so at needles eye, you gotta go right, but beware of a big lateral wave coming just off the right bank, immediately after the turn. you can't see it from above, and it's probly big enough to flip a boat right now. just square up to it and your good.
and the right side at yarmony is opened up above 6k. it's tight, but it's way easier than going left and trying to push back to center/right before the ledges at the bottom left. it's pretty pushy in there at these flows. either way, if you stay out of the hole in the top center, you'll be fine.
other than those 2 rapids, everything else is easy. point and shoot!!

finripple, we'll be running laps all weekend if you wanna follow us down or share a shuttle or something.

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Just did it

I ran Pumphouse to Rancho yesterday. Needle is actually pretty washed out. Nothing to worry about at all.

Yarmony, ont he other hand, is real big. The hole is easily avoidable but I had a tough time making the move to the center and ended up halfway in the rapids on the wall side.

Its surely pumping through but as a novice rafter to big water, I had no problems. Just a scare there right after yamrony hole.

·
Keep it right side up
50 Posts
I will be there on Sunday. Green hyside at pump house around 11 if you would like to run together.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
El Chupanibre
133 Posts
I'm not sure of the exact level but there is an easy sneak on the right side of Yarmony that develops at higher levels. I hit it at 9600 a few years back.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
32 Posts
How are flows looking on this run right now? Gauge is reading 6800 this morning. Heading up that way and thinking of doing this run on Sunday. Never run it before but seems fairly straightforward so long as you avoid the boateater at yarmony.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Eye of the needle as you enter the canyon is another point to be aware of. Hug the right bank- or risk getting hung up on the pour over. Not a fun swim~ Yarmony is marked by a large boulder on river right. YouTube has plenty of Yarmony videos to learn what the entry looks like. This is an easy stretch- but ant high water both waves deserve respect.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
132 Posts
Both rapids are big and have potential for problems at high water if you don't hit them correctly.

I'm running Pumphouse to State Bridge on Friday the 19th with a paddle boat if you want to tag along. If anyone wants to join hit me up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I ran pump house to state bridge weekend before last. Eye of the needle was big, we stayed right and missed it. Yarmony on the other hand we didnt miss. It is a big hole. We hit it dead center, didnt roll but did have a swimmer. Easily avoidable though, just stay right. There was a cat raft that came down upside down with its owner surfing on top.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How are flows looking on this run right now? Gauge is reading 6800 this morning. Heading up that way and thinking of doing this run on Sunday. Never run it before but seems fairly straightforward so long as you avoid the boateater at yarmony.

I am running Pumphouse to State Bridge on Sunday and feel comfortable with running clean lines at these flows if you want to run it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts